Open to both Internal and external
Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Closing date for internal CUPE applicants
Internal CUPE applicants must submit their application by 4pm on the ?closing date for internal CUPE applicants? for their Seniority to be recognized. If the position is still open after that date they will be considered alongside external applicants.
Applications will be reviewed commencing the ?closing date for internal CUPE applicants? and may continue until the position is filled
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 7 hours a day, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
The Communications Content Specialist primary role is to assist in marketing and communications activity for all audiences and to provide assistance to the Manager, Communications Content. Specifically, this position is responsible for: preparing written materials and articles for news, video/audio and university publications; identifying opportunities for positive news coverage; assisting with the production of materials for internal and external events and productions and for creating and/or assembling the content of the print and online sources; the content for the TRU website; preparing copy for communications and marketing collateral; and preparing copy, posting, responding and measuring for digital media.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write and edit for internal and external audiences in various styles and for various purposes.
- Create assemble, support, organize and distribute communications tactics which may include media releases, video, audio, publications, social and digital media, web content, marketing or advertising copy/collateral, as well as materials for events and supporting coordination of events and announcements.
- Monitor and assemble reports of activity on internal and external channels.
- Assemble and edit guides, processes, and policies.
- Support social media and media relations including monitoring, reporting, posting/sending and coordinating responses.
- Train employees in the use of systems such as style and brand standards, email distribution, social media, and media relations.
- Assemble and maintain contact lists.
Manager, Communications Content
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, English, journalism or marketing
- Four years of experience working in a post-secondary communications department, public sector, non-government organization, agency or business.
- Experience working within a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience working with and protecting confidential and/or sensitive information.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, manage priorities, organize multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of university governance.
- Proven ability to write effectively for news and marketing publications.
- Proven ability to write, copy edit, and present original content in a variety of styles for print, web, social media, internal documents and speeches/presentations, and translating complex information into plain language for a variety of audiences for earned, owned and paid media.
- Extensive knowledge of editing conventions and exceptional command of the English language, including grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Collaborate with and learn from fellow MarCom practitioners;
- and collaborate and maintain relationships with colleagues across campus
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Proven ability to edit and format text using Microsoft Word and publishing software (e.g. Adobe InDesign) in either Macintosh or Windows environment
- Ability to take direction from supervisors and leadership.
- Ability to use mass email software.
- Ability to maintain and update content on university's website.
- Long periods of time sitting at a desk, working at computer.
- Ability to lift weight up to 15kg.
- Occasional off-campus travel.
- General office conditions
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
CUPE Grade 08 $29.78
This Position is not subject to a 90% start rate for new Employees.
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about Thompson Rivers University or living in Kamloops or Williams Lake please visit our Career website.