Carbon Engineering (CE) is a climate solutions company and a leading provider of Direct Air Capture (DAC) technology that captures carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere. CE is focused on the global deployment of megaton-scale DAC technology so it can have the greatest impact on the huge climate challenge. Our team and partners around the world are working to deploy facilities that can capture one million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year each - which is equivalent to the carbon removal work of approx. 40 million trees. This important technology can help any company, country or individual achieve critical net zero targets by delivering solutions for permanent carbon removal and low carbon intensity fuels.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, media-savvy communication professional to lead our strategic communication efforts in key international markets. Carbon Engineering is experiencing significant growth, and the successful candidate will be instrumental in bringing our climate solutions to key international audiences.
Partnering with senior executives and business leads, in-country consultants, and partner organizations, you will develop and execute communication strategies in key international regions, such as the UK, Europe, South America, and Asia-Pacific. You will drive all stages of the communication process - from concept and strategy to execution and evaluation - to deliver robust and effective communication strategies that shape the way our company is perceived by target audiences.
This position reports to the head of CE's Communication and Marketing department in Squamish, B.C. The successful candidate will be based in either Vancouver or Squamish, B.C., and will sometimes be required to work early mornings to collaborate with CE's European team and sometimes required to work evenings to collaborate with Asia Pacific stakeholders.
- Lead the development and delivery of communication and public relations strategies to support CE's business, products, and policy efforts in key international markets
- Deliver strategic advice and tactical support to CE's international executives and business development and government relations leads on a broad range of communication matters, including media engagement strategy, thought leadership and conference strategy, and reputation management
- Work closely with various internal and external SMEs to adapt and refine CE's global corporate message to the needs and nuances of the target international markets
- Working with in-country consultants, develop a solid understanding of the media landscape, complexities and issues in these target regions
- Establish and/or grow relationships with key media and industry stakeholders to raise the profile of CE's thought leadership and drive strategic coverage
- Work directly with CE's in-country partners to develop and implement joint communication strategies and activities, delivering outstanding customer service to CE's partners and building long-term relationships
- Produce communications in a variety of mediums (e.g. news releases, opinion pieces, social media posts, Q&A and briefing documents, presentations, video and speaking scripts, emails) in multiple voices intended for target audiences
- Brief and coach CE spokespeople to deliver effective and impactful media interviews, speaking engagements, and general thought leadership initiatives
- Manage external agencies and vendors, and work closely with your colleagues in the marketing and communication team to develop a range of content and creative assets to support international work
Education, Experience and Key Competencies
- 10+ years of experience in progressively senior communication roles
- Undergraduate degree or diploma, preferably in public relations, communication, journalism, or a related field, such as climate and energy policy
- Demonstrated experience successfully developing and implementing strategic communication plans to support business objectives, preferably in one or more of the following markets: Europe, Asia Pacific, South America
- Advanced media relations experience with demonstrated success securing top tier coverage, preferably in the business, finance, policy, or energy beats
- Experience working closely with key B2B relationships to develop joint communication strategies - taking a customer-service oriented approach to relationship management
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, quickly evolving environment, with the flexibility to pivot as needs arise
- Excellent relationship building skills, with experience advising and collaborating with senior executives and across cultures
- Excellent communicator, with impeccable grammar and spelling, and strong attention to detail
- A passion and strong understanding of the clean energy transition and our business' mission
- Comfort with taking the pen - doing as well as strategizing
Joining Carbon Engineering provides you more than a career - it's a calling for those who are ready to make a difference in climate action. We provide hope.
Carbon Engineering is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Please note that a cover letter is mandatory to apply for this position. We'd love to hear your voice!