DEW Engineering and Development is a multi-divisional technology company that designs and manufactures innovative products for global clients. DEW provides a wide range of services and products to our military and commercial customers including: design, test and evaluation; prototyping and development; and manufacturing. DEW offers opportunities for growth, an attractive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and an environment that promotes personal and professional success. We currently have an opening for the following position:
Reporting to the Manager the Technical Writer's primary function is to author and edit technical documents to meet standards and customer specifications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Author objects/documents in the Standard Generalized Mark-up Language (SGML) in an object orientated process.
- Ensure that all objects authored utilize and conform to the SGML specification, the DEW authoring guidelines and project specific guidelines.
- Create technical documents in accordance with Department of National Defence (DND) Continuous Acquisition and Life-cycle support (CALS) Office Document Type Definition (DTD) and the American Transportation Association (ATA) Document Type Definition (DTD) guidelines where required.
- Utilize scripts/applications that simplify authoring activities.
- Responsible for the proper re-use of a library of entities and attributes in authored documents.
- Use the Government of Canada Termium database and the Defence Terminology Bank to develop and validate accurate objects for official Canadian Forces Technical Order (CFTO) publications.
- Ensure timely delivery with all technical manuals and documents.
- Liaise with internal and external clients as required.
- Assist in the development of official training plans, lessons and training aids based on authored objects.
- Use a variety of software products to review and incorporate legacy information into SGML documents.
- Regularly check authored material for grammar, spelling, terminology usage, layout etc.
- Perform technical verifications of illustrations developed for manuals.
- Review and edit authored documents of co-workers and make suggestions as required.
- Perform QA verifications of objects authored by yourself and other Technical Writers.
- Prepare documents for publishing and ensure all necessary files are present and complete.
- Publish documents using Arbortext Publishing software.
- Validate final drafts, including ensuring text and illustrations/tables match, layout and overall content accuracy.
- Prepare progress reports as required.
- Liaise with internal and external clients to obtain required information, illustrations and procedures for the authoring process.
- Document all relevant activities.
- Attend departmental meetings as required.
- Keep management advised of any factors affecting deliverables.
- Adhere to all environmental, health and safety regulations and follow the environmental and quality management systems.
- Travel as required.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Education/ Professional Certification:
- Post secondary education in English or Technical Writing preferred
- Experience using Canadian Forces Technical Order system.
- 5 years of experience developing CFTO publications in DND format.
- 5 years of publishing experience.
- Experience with Autodesk Inventor Vault would be an asset
- Experience with military vehicles would be an asset.
- Mechanical experience (technician, design, writing etc.) a definite asset.
- Experience with Canadian Forces Individual Training and Education System's A-P9-000-001/PT-000 series of manuals would be an asset.
- Experience with markup languages such as SGML, HTML, XML, etc.
- Experience with MS Office.
- Experience with simplified English.
Characteristics & Skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organization, planning and scheduling skills
- Able to create and work in a team environment and with minimal supervision
- Detail-oriented and able to multi-task and prioritize
- Bilingualism an asset
- Able to read and interpret Engineering Drawings.
If your background is a match and you are interested in pursuing this challenging opportunity, please apply with your resume in confidence.
While we thank all those who apply, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DEW is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
DEW strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, DEW will endeavor to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate those candidates with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources.