Date: May 11, 2022
Location: Waterloo, CA
Company: Wilfrid Laurier University
Department : Enrolment Services
Job Type: Limited Term
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time ( >=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Manager, Marketing & Comm
Employee Group: WLUSA
Application Deadline: May 18, 2022
Requisition ID: 3492
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier's thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well locations in Kitchener and Milton. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace, a flexible work policy and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier's Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for writing and editing communications and marketing content that supports an integrated recruitment and marketing strategy for the Recruitment & Admissions Department. This includes supporting Canadian and International student recruitment, Outreach, Welcome Centre Operations and Admissions.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing and Communications Strategy, the Communications Coordinator will execute on communications plans, working closely with the Senior Communications Strategist and the Digital Engagement Strategist. They will coordinate both digital and print marketing and communications projects for prospective undergraduate students, including email campaigns, student recruitment publications and website content , and will need to demonstrate:
- Practical experience and knowledge of copywriting best practices and content development particulary targeting a GenZ market;
- Experience working with customer relationship management (CRM) software, creating and managing campaigns;
- A proven skill set including a strong attention to detail, proofreading abilities and organizational skills;
- A proven ability to prioritize and schedule the dissemination of communications across multiple communication platforms in a way that resonates with our audience;
- Well established abilities to liaise with groups and individuals both internal and external to the university;
- The ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, adapt to change, and excel in a fast-paced environment characterized by changing priorities.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
Coordinates and executes the communications strategy
- Write, build, edit and execute email communications for all undergraduate prospective students and applicants from Ontario, Canada and around the world. This is a very large portfolio of work, as email is a critical channel to reach prospects and applicants to Laurier.
- A high-level of attention to detail is required to generate reports for prospect and applicant email communications to ensure accuracy, as the risk is high for the institution if emails are sent to the wrong audience.
- Collaborate with the Senior Communications Strategist and other team members to determine the integrated messaging strategy for communications to all audiences for email, chat, texting, webinars, events and other channels.
- Define digital personas for our target audiences, taking into consideration the marketing strategy for the university and for recruitment, to ensure our messaging via email and the web is aligned.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of an editorial calendar for email, social media and content marketing initiatives.
- Reviews data and reports from the CRM and make recommendations on adjustments to the email calendar and for new content to develop based on data and research.
- Identifies opportunities and risks for the email portfolio.
Applies knowledge, research and data to develop content and copy for undergraduate recruitment marketing initiatives.
- Project manage and execute the annual recruitment viewbook undergraduate student recruitment.
- Write student-centered undergraduate prospective content for wlu.ca and make the updates in our web CMS. Developing and updating web copy for all of wlu.ca is on-going throughout the cycle.
- Responsible for writing persuasive copy for email campaigns in a CRM and also for social media.
- Coordinates and executes components of communications plans, supporting the Senior Communications Strategist and Digital Engagement Strategist.
- Creates surveys for feedback on internal initiatives.
- Researches and presents new communications/story ideas for web/print/social media activities, and then follows through with coordinating, writing and executing new ideas.
- Maintains a strong knowledge base about all aspects of programs, admissions, student life, visual identity and branding, and other areas related to undergraduate prospective students and applicants, including all relevant research, communications, recruitment initiatives, current departmental and campus-wide initiatives.
- Maintains a clear understanding of the needs, values and motivations of all audiences (Ontario high school, transfer students, mature learners, international students, parents and influencers) at different stages throughout the enrolment cycle.
- Uses both internal and external research to make evidence-based decisions on messaging and direction of content with a proven ability to distill complex information into clear, concise text for our key audiences.
- Conducts environmental scans to monitor email and social media approaches from competitors and comparable business. Identifies opportunities for efficiencies and challenges the status quo with a focus on continuous improvement and a better overall experience for all audiences.
Collaborates and consults with staff in Enrolment Services and across the university to execute on projects.
- Working closely with colleagues on the Marketing & Communications team and External Relations, this position will ensure that all content is accurate and aligned with the institutional marketing strategy before it is disseminated to our audiences.
- Collaborates with team members to update web properties, chat bots, augmented reality and other digital tools/channels.
- Responds to inquiries from students and parents about recruitment and admissions initiatives. Supports the social media team in responding to questions received to our social channels.
- Works collaboratively with Laurier partners to support activities for recruitment campaigns, admissions materials, email campaigns, conversion activities, presentations, and partner conversion activities.
- Communicates with Service Laurier to ensure that they have the messaging they need to respond to prospective student inquiries and that they are aware of our communications to applicants.
- Liaises with the External Relations department to coordinate the production of marketing materials, including the optimal way to communicate messages graphically and that all pertinent information is incorporated and accurate.
- Updates and tracks progress of all projects in a central project management tool to ensure activities and responsibilities progress towards defined deadlines.
- University degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, English or a related field.
- Experience within the higher education sector preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in a communications or marketing role.
- Experience with planning, writing, editing and distributing emails using a CRM or email marketing automation software, such as Salesforce (Salesforce preferred).
- Must have practical experience with writing audience-based persuasive copy with particular emphasis on email and web copy.
- Experience with web content development and content management systems.
- Experience with the creation and maintenance of shared editorial calendars for project management purposes.
- Superior command of the English language, with the ability to write in both professional and creative tones as required, and the ability to write effectively and persuasively in multiple mediums.
- Experience using evidence-based decision making to develop, coordinate, write, and edit content.
- Demonstrated analytical, critical, and creative thinking, writing, and speaking skills.
- Demonstrated superior attention to detail.
- Technical skill requirements include knowledge of Adobe Suite,HTML and ability to use aContent Management System (CMS).
- Self-motivated, organized and able to multi-task and prioritize jobs to meet deadlines.
- Experience working with designers, film editors, and other content development experts.
- A diversified resume which includes demonstration of the breadth of skills across all mediums and for different audiences with be required.
- Appreciation of diverse perspectives and ability to work with diverse groups including members of the university administration, faculty, staff, students, external suppliers and secondary school staff and administration.
Hours of Work: This is a full-time, limited term position with an anticipated end date of July 14, 2023. Regular hours of work are 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. Some flexibility may be required due to periods of high volume. When possible, the manager will adjust hours so no more than 35 hours are worked in a week.
Rate of Pay: $34.86 - $41.03
All Laurier employees and students are required to comply with the University's Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy. Effective May 1st, Wilfrid Laurier University will pause its proof of vaccination requirements. Should these recommendations change, vaccination requirements can be reinstated on short notice. Community members should remain up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccinations.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier's core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity deserving groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-apply/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers_ for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a resume and cover letter will be required in electronic form._
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $34.86-$41.03 per hour