Date Posted: 05/06/2022
Req ID: 24112
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: Dept of Geography
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00040282
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada's leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
Founded in 1935, the Department of Geography & Planning is one of the oldest and largest geography departments in North America. Geographers study the spatial dimensions of human and biophysical activity, while planners help local and regional communities envision their future and find ways to get there. Located in downtown Toronto, our department lies in a sophisticated, harmonious geography and planning environment. Together, our programs reflect the diversity of the field, which we see as a source of intellectual excitement and strength.
Under the general direction of the Business Officer, the incumbent is responsible for the execution of events for the Department. This includes coordinating all logistical arrangements, prepares event plans, advertising events, developing guest lists and invitations, responding to queries from donors and alumni, researching venues and suppliers, making accommodation arrangements for visitors, and handling post-event follow-up by preparing event summaries, taking minutes and recommendations.
As well, the incumbent has general communication duties, including updating of the website and communication via various social media outlets, assisting with the production, editing and distribution of the alumni newsletters.
The incumbent will use their knowledge of the fields of Geography and Planning togenerate and research story ideas and to seek out appropriate contributors from the faculty or graduate student body.
Your responsibilities will include:
Coordinating the schedule for program and event calendars
- Analyzing client needs and making recommendations on event logistics and options
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming
- Conducting post-event evaluation, analysis and recommendations for changes
- Maintaining information on digital platforms
- Editing content for brochures, newsletters, websites and/or handbooks
- Disseminating event-related information
- Fostering positive relationships with alumni
Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Three (3) years' related experience in event planning and communications in a primarily customer service-orientatedenvironment.
- Demonstrated experience with web publishing tools, social media and content management systems.
- Experience writing and editing content for publication and promotion, design layout, production and distribution in hardcopy, electronic format, and on websites.
- Experience organizing events and workshops from creation to execution including experience coordinating international events. Experience administering social media platforms and writing for a web audience.
- Proven journalistic experience, including investigating and pitching stories, executing interviews with academic researchers, students, alumni and donors, employers and other groups of related interest, and writing news and feature stories.
- Demonstrated experience writing stories based on research projects and initiatives.
- Experience in editing marketing and promotional material for events, student programs, alumni and employer outreach initiatives.
- Experience working with both undergraduate and graduate students is required.
- Experience with tracking communication metrics and website analytics and preparing reports in order to evaluate and enhance communication initiatives.
- Experience working with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional proofreading and editing skills with working knowledge of graphic design principles for website and print communication.
- Advanced skills with Adobe Creative Cloud Software (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat).
- Intermediate skills in content management systems (Wordpress and/or Drupal), webpage design, HTML.
- Advanced skills inMS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) as well as MS Teams, Zoom, Survey Monkey.
- Advanced skills with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn).
- Excellent time-management, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to provide a high level of customer service to students and staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of the field of Geography and Planning.
- Ability to take initiative, work proactively, and exercise tact and judgement.
Preference given to experience in a university setting.
- Bachelor's degree in Geography is an asset.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Goal oriented
- Problem solver
Closing Date: 05/17/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 09 - $59,412 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $75,979. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, person with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encourage to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.