Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2022
Job Number: PN-22-26
Job Type: Permanent Full-time, Non-Union
Position Closing Date: Monday, May 23, 2022
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Legal Services Department provides (i) timely and comprehensive legal advice to City Council, the CAO and City staff, and provides a full range of legal services to the Corporation, its boards and agencies. (ii) insurance administration and risk management, (iii) professional execution of the City's real estate program including acquisition, disposition, leasing and encroachments. The department strives to ensure that every measure is taken to provide a cost effective, high quality standard of service.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Office Coordinator I (Legal Services), the Administrative Assistant (Legal Services) is responsible for performing the day-to-day administrative functions of the Legal Services Department. Specifically, this position provides confidential and non-confidential administrative, clerical, and legal support for the Section Supervisor and Department Management Team, which involves administering payroll processing, departmental procurement processes, Additionally, this position acts as a departmental contact and resource for various requests, which involves gathering and distributing information to department staff, City staff, and external stakeholders. Overall, this position plays an integral role in ensuring the consistent delivery of the Departmental administrative support services to enable comprehensive delivery of services to the residents and customers of the City of Barrie.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- One (1) year College Certificate in Office Administration or related discipline
- Two (2) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience providing administrative support to litigation related matters including administrative tribunal related matters or appeals of prosecutions for provincial offences
- General knowledge of the following legislation, regulations, or requirements: Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA); Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA); Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act (MIFIPPA); Municipal Act; Employment Standards Act (ESA); and Collective Agreement.
- General knowledge of the following principles and standards: municipal, regional, provincial and federal government services, programs, and initiatives; and civil litigation and tribunal processes.
- Working knowledge of the following principles and standards: customer service and public relations principles, standards and techniques; administrative, clerical, and payroll processes and procedures, records management practices, procurement practices, budgeting practices, and general office equipment operation; and cash handling and management practices.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- develop, promote, and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- exercise discretion and judgment in order to make sound decisions under tight timelines/deadlines or while managing multiple project or conflicting priorities
- interpret and apply policies and procedures and use reason and judgment to develop recommendations or solutions to problems
- maintain a high standard of public relations at all times
- maintain confidentiality and ensure the security of private information in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- perform in a manner which is consistent with corporate goals, vision, mission, and values
- resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner
- set priorities; meet deadlines; and manage work demands
- shift back and forth between multiple activities while maintaining concentration
- Basic skills include: Administrative; Analytical; Customer Service; Interpersonal; Organizational; Problem Solving; Teamwork; Time Management; Written Communication
- Basic computer literacy using the following systems and software: Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word), and the Internet
- Availability to accommodate deadlines or peak period workloads that may extend beyond designated normal workday hours or normal hours per week
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check*
Other Important Information
Location: City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario
Hours: The normal hours of work are 35 hours per week; however, some non-standard hours may apply.
Wage: This is a permanent full-time non-union position with the following pay level and 2022 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 8
- Yearly Salary: $57,275.64 to $73,117.41 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $31.47 to $40.17 per hour
Benefits: This position includes a comprehensive non-union benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short/long term disability plans, OMERS pension plan, discounted rate for City Fitness Memberships and much more.
Don't meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City's Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: B
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is committed to providing a safe working environment for our employees and members of the public with whom we interact regularly and as such City of Barrie has recently implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure. This procedure aims to strongly encourage vaccination for all City staff and mandate full vaccination amongst City staff in high-risk worker groups, critical worker groups, or in accordance with provincial directives and within the limits of the Ontario Human Rights Code. All new employees will be subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure as a condition of their employment.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this position. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing Via Isarta.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.