APEGA Career Opportunity:
Administrative Assistant, Communications
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety - then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Director, Member Engagement & Communications, the Administrative Assistant will write content for the staff intranet, track sponsorship requests, update budget spreadsheets, and oversee the director's calendar and inbox.
- Manage the Director, Member Engagement & Communications' inbox, on a daily basis, to prioritize requests and tasks, and to respond on behalf of the Director, when appropriate.
- Manage the Director, Member Engagement & Communications' meeting requests and calendar.
- Support the Director, Member Engagement & Communications to oversee the department budget, including invoicing and credit cards, quarterly forecasts, and annual planning.
- Coordinate department meetings, including organizing room bookings, meeting location logistics, creating meeting agendas and meeting packages, and taking meeting minutes.
- Gather information, update documents, compile reports and and/or documents.
- Communicating with other APEGA departments and stakeholders to maintain open lines of communication.
- Informing department staff of any administrative protocol or policy changes.
- Responding to department inquiries from APEGA staff and members, escalating as needed.
- Planning travel arrangements and completing expense invoices, claims, and reimbursements, if requested by department staff.
- Write intranet (OWL) stories to inform and educate staff and contractors on activities driven by the Communications Department.
- Be the key Communications contact for OWL and be part of the OWL Governance Committee.
- Attend key meetings and events across divisions and departments to gather information to write clear, concise copy to share on OWL, such as the Social Committee, Corporate Challenge, and the United Way.
- Work with the Director, Member Engagement & Communications and the Marketing & Communications Manager to manage sponsorship requests and activations, including correspondence, budget review, staffing booths, and distributing event tickets.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Competencies: exemplifying integrity, fostering communication, results orientation, service excellence, and teamwork.
- Functional Competencies: adaptability, attention to detail, digital literacy, initiative and problem solving.
- Knowledge of communication best practices with experience writing internal communications.
- Proficient writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated high proficiency of computer applications and databases including the use of Microsoft Office Applications.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational, time management and attention to detail skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Meeting management, minute taking and records management skills.
- Ability to function with high degree of independence and confidentiality.
- Post-secondary diploma in related field.
- 2-3 years' experience within an administrative role.
- Communications background is considered an asset.
- Proficiency in SharePoint considered an asset.
- This position will work a flexible model that includes 50% of the time in office and 50% from their home office. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet. This flexible work model will be reviewed periodically and updated as needed.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
APEGA's Vaccination policy and protocol is currently suspended requiring agency contractors and staff to be fully vaccinated and required to show proof of vaccination. This policy and protocol may be reinstated at any time in alignment with public health measures.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to the People Experience Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.