Job Description :
In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources the HR Specialist, Medical Staff Support is responsible for the overall operational labour and employee relations within a Medical Staff Support and Governance. As subject matter expert, the Specialist, Medical Staff support provides Medical Leaders with expert advice, and direction on complex and or high risk matters. Working closely with the Human Resources Specialist and HR Client Services teams, ensures that operational relations within Medical Staff Governance is aligned with strategic labour and employee relations and promotes best practice and adherence to standards. The Specialist, Medical Staff Support contributes to the development of HR Consultant knowledge and skill set.
Education, Training And Experience
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in a related discipline such as Human Resources plus seven (7) years' recent related experience in area of expertise including a minimum of three (3) years of complex labour relations experience
Skills And Abilities
- Solid understanding of human resource practices, related legislation and applicable collective agreements with specific expertise in jurisprudence theory and labour relations practice
- Ability to problem-solve with a global perspective in order to incorporate the organization's systems and strategies when developing viable solutions to problems
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong negotiation, facilitation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Mentorship and coaching skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to use related equipment including HR information systems, word processing, spreadsheet, database and internet tools
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position