Administrative Assistant (Administrative Assistant To Director)
Temporary - Approximate length of assignment, in months
Type of Position
June 6, 2022
$62,332.00 - $70,781.00
York Region -> Community & Health Services -> Integrated Business Services
IBSB Admin, Fin & ISDPP Newmrk - 17150 Yonge Street - Newmarket, ON L3Y 8V3 CA (Primary)
remote work opportunities may apply - CA
Job Description (E)
Reporting to the Director, is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support including handling sensitive political and human resource issues; maintaining and tracking all reports coming in and out of the office; researching and compiling background information; arranging meetings and appointments; taking formal minutes at meetings; maintaining office administration and records management processes and procedures; responding to and/or redirecting inquiries/communications; and completing special projects, as assigned.
- Provides administrative and secretarial support to the Director as related to the applicable office and portfolio.
- Assists in researching and gathering background materials; edits documents and/or ensures required presentations and/or briefing notes, are available in a timely manner.
- Researches, writes, prepares and coordinates background material, presentations and/or briefing notes, for responses to inquiries and for meetings and reports.
- Assists and facilitates communications between the Director and staff, elected officials, outside agencies and the public.
- Prepares confidential correspondence, documents and reports for the Director including Council and Committee reports, charts and graphs.
- Receives, redirects and responds to communications addressed to the Director and takes appropriate action to ensure urgent matters are dealt with quickly.
- Maintains office records management system which includes a bring forward and follow up tracking system to ensure that appropriate action is taken; creates and maintains databases; prepares documentation for storage and/or retrieval of off-site documents using the Corporate Records Management system; assists in maintaining a library; and ensures consistent standards and appropriate training of staff for documents produced by the Branch or Division.
- Assists in managing contracts administered by the Director, including purchase orders, verifying invoices and maintaining project records.
- Identifies best practices and procedures in office administration and programs and implements changes.
- Provides set up and orientation for new staff, as required.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Business Studies or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible administrative experience with an emphasis on determining priorities and organizing activities of a diverse work assignment.
- Demonstrated experience in organizing meetings, including preparation of agendas, taking minutes, documentation and circulation of minutes with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of general office procedures, preparing documents and records management practices.
- Knowledge of Department and Branch services and programs and ability to relate information to meet customer needs.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative, self management, accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Demonstrated competency utilizing MS Office Software applications including scheduling and presentation software and proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrated ability to research and gather information.
- Ability to manage daily workload, set priorities and meet required deadlines with conflicting demands and changing priorities.
Council Approval Date
Scheduled Weekly Hours
May 9, 2022
# of Hires Needed
Non Union Staff
Please apply online by 4:30PM EST of the closing date indicated above. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
All York Region Employees are required to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine series, approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, as a condition of hire. Should you be the successful candidate, you will be required to comply with the Region's mandatory Vaccination Policy that is in effect.
York Region is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At the Region, we respect, encourage and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation.