Compensation: $20.3648 - $23.1417/hour
Posting Date: * November 22, 2021*
Closing Date: * December 06, 2021*
Start Date: January 2022
IWK Health is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. IWK Health is committed to employment equity and the reduction of barriers to employment and career growth. We encourage all who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply.
Reporting to the Manager, the Administrative Assistant II provides high quality administrative, secretarial and organizational support to an ophthalmologist and the Eye Care Team. This position will support the Ophthalmologist's work at both the IWK and QEII Health Sciences Centre. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Attend meetings, takes and produces minutes as required; Answers telephone calls, relays messages and refers calls with follow-up as appropriate; Types/transcribes reports, correspondence, photocopy and distributes accordingly; Establishes and maintains office filing system including processing incoming/outgoing mail; Coordinates and schedules appointments, books/coordinates clinics for patients including distribution of appointment letters; provides reception and registration functions for patients and their families; Arranges travel including booking; Computerized medical billing using Accuro software; Ongoing communication with the Eye Care Team including attending team meetings; Co-ordination of multidisciplinary appointments and surgeries for adults and children; Liaising with internal/external departments, hospitals and agencies regarding patient appointments; Responsible for patient referrals by notifying patients of appointments, maintaining files, and utilization of Meditech scheduling; Some clinic registration using Meditech; and other related duties as assigned. Participates in ambulatory care team discussions as required, offering input and energy into efforts at improving clinic efficiency and functioning.
Hours of Work
Monday - Friday, 0800-1600 / 0830-1630
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Graduate from a recognized Office Administration Program required
- Minimum 6 months related administrative assistant experience in a clinical setting required
- Medical terminology course, required.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office and database programs required.
- Experience in MEDITECH, Novari, MS Outlook and/or Internet an asset.
- Minimum keyboarding speed of 60 w.p.m. required
- Experience in computerized medical billing applications preferred.
- Experience with patient registration an asset.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility in meeting workload demands required.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work within a framework of the highest confidentiality.
- Competency in other languages an asset; French, preferred.
Thank you for your interest in IWK Health. We will only contact those applicants selected for interview/testing. Applicants we invite to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
Please note: our offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.
Additionally, as per Nova Scotia's COVID-19 Vaccine mandate, any offer of employment will be conditional upon submitting proof of full vaccination status. Medical exceptions or any other kind of requested exception based upon the Health Centre's obligations pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are an employee of IWK Health, please apply through the internal careers page_ to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant. _Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent