Permanent (for any group)
Position End Date (if applicable)
MRU Main Campus - Calgary, AB T3E 6K6 CA (Primary)
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor degrees and 38 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Role
The Cougars Athletics and Recreation Marketing Strategist is responsible for the implementation of the marketing plans created to advance the goals of Cougars Athletics and Recreation. Reporting to the Marketing and Partnerships Manager, the focus for the Marketing Strategist is to increase the visibility and awareness of both the varsity athletic and recreation programs offered by the department, with a priority on revenue driven activities and initiatives outlined in the Cougars Athletics and Recreation (CAR) strategic plan.
Marketing of CAR* (70%)*
- Produce strategic marketing plans and project briefs with defined goals, deliverables and measures of success; monitor project progress; coordinate project work; measure success in meeting timelines; apprise stakeholders of project status; evaluate project results; and debrief at the completion of the project or campaign
- Conduct marketing research and analysis to appropriate direct campaign planning
- Deliver finished projects or events on-scope, on-time, on-budget and on-brand
- Work collaboratively with recreation programming staff and athletics coaches to highlight the expected campaign outcomes; build awareness and benefits of new programs/services/events; and maximize a return on the investment of marketing budgets
- Identify and creatively utilize available resources for all marketing and communication
- Develop creative, engaging, relevant, and compelling content which will foster a connected community
- Oversee the department website and social media channels
- Support the Marketing and Partnerships Manager in overseeing the overall branding for the department
- Manage necessary photoshoots and video shoots required for marketing campaigns
- Oversee required design for marketing campaign collateral
- Maintain and update the MRU Cougars Brand Style Guide in conjunction with the Marketing and Partnerships Manager
- Support sponsorship activation requirements as outlined by the Marketing and Partnerships Manager
Human Resources & Staff Leadership* (20%)*
- Assist in the nurturing and development of the departmental work culture
- Develop casual staff positions, and expectations that align with the desired outcomes while following the established budget
- Apply best practices and compliance in carrying out policies and procedures relative to human resource management
- Provide feedback and post-event reviews to staff where appropriate
- Liaise with the Payroll department to ensure all staff comply with the policies in place in order to process wages
Strategic Planning* (5%)*
- Promote a shared vision that drives departmental, divisional, and institutional short-term and long-term planning and the ongoing organizational work
- Steward the assessment of the strategic plan, student and employee needs, emerging opportunities and industry trends
- Steward the implementation of modifications to the department's strategic plan as necessary
Departmental, divisional and institutional service* (5%)*
- Support the development of innovative collaborative partnerships to advance the departmental, divisional and institutional strategic reach
- Support department wide impact programs to build community and engagement opportunities
- Advance and serve on committees and university initiatives
- Collaborate with department, institutional, and community partners to cultivate leadership, citizenship, and engagement opportunities for student employees and participants
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communication, public relations or related area.
- Minimum five years (5) professional experience in a marketing and/or communications professional position.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in budget and resource management.
- Demonstrated innovation, creativity and informed risk-taking.
- Demonstrated knowledge of athletics and recreation
- Demonstrated ability to lead as well as adapt to changing priorities, situations and demands.
- Demonstrated ability to assist with creation and implementation of strategic marketing and communication plans
- Demonstrated ability to utilize best practice and market research to shape communication and marketing campaigns.
- Knowledge and experience with the effective use of website, social media and other digital marketing mediums
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated commitment to and appreciation of diversity and cultural competency
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and work as a member of the team
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed
- Experience working working with design programs such as Adobe Suite and Canva
- Relevant experience in a comparable university, non-profit or public organization setting.
- Knowledge and proficiency with print processes; photo and video shoots; social media; brand development and management.
- Knowledge of exercise trends and effective marketing strategies to reach University students and the greater Calgary community.
- Ability to articulate higher education trends and issues and their potential effects on University recreation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage digital marketing mediums
Please note: Effective January 1, 2022, Mount Royal University will require all employees to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine. Currently, employees must be either vaccinated or provide rapid test results twice a week.
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.
Salary: $2,872.17 semi-monthly
Closing Date: October 23, 2021
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: (Last Name), (Requisition Number).pdf (ex. Smith, 999999.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.
Job Type: Permanent
Work Location: Multiple Locations