The School of Population and Global Health (SPGH) is an interdisciplinary institution that fosters high-impact research, education and service in population and global health. It combines the Faculty of Medicine’s Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, the Institute for Health and Social Policy, the Biomedical Ethics Unit and McGill Global Health Programs. The School is building on the strengths of these units together with the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at-large and the wider University community to advance McGill’s contribution to population and global health. The School is currently comprised of approximately 235 undergraduate and 300 graduate students in close to 75 different graduate courses, as well as a medical residency program in public health and preventive medicine.
SPGH is seeking a Communications Officer with a marketing mindset and a breadth of strategic and tactical expertise. The successful candidate will be a compelling communicator who has expertise demystifying research for a range of audiences, together with a passion for the SPGH mission. He or she will flourish in this position by building strategic relationships and powerfully communicating the SPGH story, while navigating the larger organizational context.
The Communications Officer collaborates closely with the School’s academic and administrative teams to elevate the School’s profile externally and to ensure internal communications needs are met. He or she will establish the School’s communications strategy and key messages and will tell the stories of the School’s educational programs, academic community, research initiatives and impact across multiple platforms to build its visibility and reputation in Canada and abroad.
The Communications Officer will collaborate strategically with the Faculty Communications Office as a member of its professional community, as well as with external communications service providers.
- Develop and implement the School’s annual communications strategy, including a social media strategy, to build awareness of SPGH programs, research, experts, publications and events.
- Oversee and manage the development of branding initiatives. Ensure increased brand consistency across the School. Approve all branding materials, including stationery, branded items/materials, logo usage, videos, photos, etc.
- Support fundraising and stewardship activities.
- Identify and develop written, visual and audio-visual content for both internal and external audiences, ensuring it is aligned with the SPGH objectives.
- Support internal communications within the SPGH community to disseminate key messages regarding new directions and decisions, and provide a platform for exchange on research initiatives.
- Provide guidance on key messages for speaking opportunities.
- As a professional within the Faculty’s broader communications community, liaise with the Faculty Communications Office to ensure coherence of strategy and brand.
Duration of the contract : 1 year renewable
OTHER QUALIFYING SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES
- University degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field Minimum of five years of professional experience in communications, public relations and/or media relations, working with social media
- A science background and or experience in science communications is an asset
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with the ability to make science palpable
- Strong initiative, combined with innovative thinking and desire to continuously raise the bar
- Experience overseeing and proofing creative concepts and artwork for online and print publication, as well as storyboards and scripts for video production
- Familiar with local and national news media
- Strong communications planning and implementation experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment
- Ability to navigate within a larger organization with multiple stakeholders and audiences
- Detail-oriented and organized, and able to set priorities, multitask, work independently under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proficient using MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel).
- Excellent knowledge of web, content management and social media applications
- English and French, spoken and written