Requisition ID: 30901
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the x?m??k??y??m (Musqueam), S?wx?wú7mesh (Squamish), and s?lilw?ta? (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world's most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
As a member of the Civic Engagement and Communications team, the Senior Communications Specialist works on a variety of strategic communications projects in support of the Real Estate and Facilities Management division at the City. This position is responsible for helping to educate the public and key stakeholders about major construction projects, along with the City's responsibilities as land owner and landlord. The position has a strong strategic focus including developing communications strategies that support successful business outcomes, and creating or supervising the creation of various communications tools to inform the public about key initiatives, their expected impacts and the opportunities for public involvement.
On a day-to-day basis, the position advises departmental managers/leaders, senior staff and other City staff on communications matters.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Senior Communications Specialist reports to the Associate Director, Corporate Communications. Its primary working relationships include: departmental and senior staff within the Real Estate and Facilities Management division; key support staff in Civic Engagement and Communications and Digital Services at the City; other government and stakeholder agencies; community groups and members of the media. It serves as a key information sharing conduit between City departments, members of the public, the media and the CEC department on matters related to REFM.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and implements multi-channel communications plans to support key REFM one-time and multi-year initiatives
- Oversees development of a wide variety of publicity and informational materials including news releases, newsletters, notices, pamphlets and brochures, speeches, video, displays, social media campaigns and other digital content, advertising, etc.
- Tracks the communications budgets for assigned projects
- Serves as the primary liaison to the media, coordinates media responses and spokespeople as appropriate
- Leads issues management for projects
- Directs the development and maintenance of web pages related to REFM initiatives
- Liaises with related agencies and suppliers/contractors to ensure effective and timely coordination of information to the public
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related discipline and at least five to seven years of experience in a communications position, or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience
- Considerable experience implementing communications plans on complex and/or controversial topics
- Experience working with and communicating to diverse community groups
- Considerable experience serving as a media spokesperson or supporting other spokespeople on complex or sensitive issues
- Experience developing and making presentations to large groups
- Prior experience supporting public engagement or consultation on public initiatives or issues would be an asset
- Knowledge of or experience with the commercial real estate market and/or issues related to public land ownership would also be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable demonstrated skill in developing and implementing all facets of a strategic communications plan
- Demonstrated ability to identify potentially contentious issues and quickly research the topic and recommend course of action, including responses
- Demonstrated ability to meet very tight deadlines and to juggle numerous tasks
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate communications needs, and identify and develop the best tools and best timing for providing effective information to various publics
- Demonstrated ability to be pro-active in establishing and maintaining respectful relationships with numerous and diverse stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with internal and external partners
- both in routine and in controversial and stressful situations
- Demonstrated skill in writing plain language materials: taking complex and technical information and making it interesting and easy for a layperson to understand
- Demonstrated skill in public speaking, and in writing and making effective public presentations to groups
- Considerable knowledge of the processes of graphic design, photography, video production, print and web production, and social media channels
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm, alert and high functioning under stressful conditions
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy
- Thorough knowledge of local and international media practice and trends
- Thorough knowledge of public processes/consultation techniques
- Thorough knowledge of government, particularly civic and regional government structures
Business Unit/Department : Office of the City Manager (1010)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2021
Position End Date: May, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: September 19, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approximate 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.