Open to both Internal and external
Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Closing date for internal CUPE applicants
Internal CUPE applicants must submit their application by 4pm on the ?closing date for internal CUPE applicants? for their Seniority to be recognized. If the position is still open after that date they will be considered alongside external applicants.
Applications will be reviewed commencing the ?closing date for internal CUPE applicants? and may continue until the position is filled
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 7 hours a day, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
The Research & Communications Officer in the School of Business and Economics (SoBE) plans, develops, and executes the communications and marketing strategies of the School. The Officer monitors and researches all TRU SoBE research, student and business engagement activities to identify key information to be communicated and marketed via website, blogs, social media, publications, advertisements, biographies, videos, brochures and events. The Officer conducts interviews, verifies information and writes, edits and coordinates the effective communication of SoBE information to an internal and external audience. In this role, the Officer maintains a network of external contacts and serves as the first point of contact with media, partners and funding agencies on all issues related to the promotion of TRU's SoBE programs. Working closely with internal partners, the Officer ensures consistent and coordinated communications and marketing for the School.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. It's recognized that the Communications Plan, tied to the Strategic Research and Marketing Plan, is constantly evolving, and the officer will:
- Lead the development of the strategic communications plan for the promotion of the School
- Implement strategies by adapting existing work guidelines and, where necessary, applying broad guidelines to enable the strategic communications plan, including:
- identifying key communications channels (social media, publications, radio, TV) to best promote TRU SoBE, its research community and all SoBE students
- build network of internal collaborators to ensure a consistent and coordinated TRU message (Marketing and Communication, Alumni Affairs, OL, Faculties)
- adapts the presentation of SoBE stories to suit an evolving, constantly changing, research culture and changing external audiences (ex. Tri-Agencies)
- enhance the university's profile provincially, nationally, and internationally
2. Executes strategic research and marketing plan:
- Independently researches, writes and posts SoBE stories and press releases on the accomplishments of faculty and students directly to TRU SoBE's website, blog and social media platforms
- Using tact and diplomacy, works closely with TRU partners in industry, business and community and external funders (Foundations, all 3 levels of government) to enhance TRU's public image
- Develops concepts, writes content and designs layout for a variety of the School's publications
- Conceptualizes and participates in the organization of SoBE events to raise awareness about activities taking place at Thompson Rivers University
- Identifies research accomplishments and works with local media partners (radio, TV and print) to promote and enhance the profile of the School and its Faculty
- Provides instruction, orientation and training on an occasional basis to coop and work study students, auxiliary and other staff
- Builds an extensive internal and external network of colleagues to work collaboratively on the promotion of SoBE
3. Assess communications and marketing strategies and tactics by maintaining key metrics that will guide improvements in the development of further plans and their implementation.
Assistant Dean, School of Business and Economics
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or a related discipline
- Three (3) years related experience, including one (1) years' experience in a research environment
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of discretion and judgement in interacting with external partners, funders and internal clients, and related sensitive and embargoed information
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, as both writer and editor
- Ability to deal effectively with others and work as part of a team
- Proven ability to design publications, web content, handouts and other communications materials using layout programs (eg. Indesign) as part of an integrated communications strategy
- Proven ability to organize, manage priorities, meet deadlines and follow up on deliverables
- Ability to quickly assimilate complex, original content and translate it into plain language for a variety of audiences
- Sitting at a desk and computer for long periods of time
- General office conditions
- Ability to lift weights up to 5kg
- Travel required
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
CUPE Grade 09 $31.19
This Position is not subject to a 90% start rate for new Employees.
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University
- > School of Business and Economics
- > Dean, School of Business
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Color, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about Thompson Rivers University or living in Kamloops or Williams Lake please visit our Career website.