What will you do?
As the successful candidate, you will work closely with the Extended Senior Leadership Team, Asset Management (both fixed assets and vehicles), and Smart Bus. You'll be the main communications support for ongoing BC Transit capital projects, relying on your strong project management skills and building relationships with key stakeholders (federal, provincial and local governments/politicians), keeping them informed about projects, gaining approvals for all communications materials, providing support/messaging for project team members and ensuring that key milestones are celebrated.
You'll specifically have the opportunity to:
- Provide senior level advice and support to BC Transit executive and directors as well as, executive and director level communications staff in government
- Support BC Transit's strategic communications goals and team including through issues management such as rezoning applications, community opposition, bargaining messaging and labour disruptions
- If required, supervise contractors to ensure projects are completed within BC Transit brand standards
- May be responsible for mentoring other team members
- Build out communications and public engagement plans and deliver supporting materials, specifically:
- Supporting rezoning application communications (as appropriate), community engagement, internal/staff communications (Hub updates, letters, coffee chats), ground-breaking events, project updates and project celebrations
- Updating project webpages, creating social media posts, creating all supporting materials (media advisories, media releases, rack cards, letters, boards, etc.) and ads/promotion
- Attend project meetings as required and meet with project managers weekly and as needed to update project and communication statuses
- Ensure Communications keeps the projects on schedule
- Provide communications advice and guidance for best results and to mitigate project issues
- Liaise with project contractors to ensure strategies remain aligned and approvals are received internally, from the local government partner and from government communications.
What education and experience will you need to be successful?
We love lifelong Learners and recommend the following mix of education or certifications to be successful in conjunction with relevant experience:
- Post-secondary degree in a related field plus a minimum four (4) years' experience; an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated record of success as a communications specialist in a large, complex organization, managing media, government relations and issues management
- Proven ability to lead teams to develop media/social media strategies and manage media and community events
- Demonstrated frontline experience as a corporate media spokesperson highly skilled at public speaking
To view the full job description for this role please see the attached.
- Travel and on-call support is required
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC Transit Offers
- Life Insurance
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Health and Wellness Spending account
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots (not currently open due to COVID-19)
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program
- Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)
We believe that diversity of thought and experience fuels innovation. In keeping with this belief, we do not discriminate on any basis. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Should you require any accommodation or have questions, please let us know.
While we welcome all applications, we will only respond directly to those who are short-listed for a role. Thanks in advance for your understanding and wishing you all the best in your career journey.