The Faculty of Kinesiology is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Senior Marketing and Communications Strategist.
The University of Calgary Active Living business unit is one of the largest and most diverse recreation units based on a North American campus. Active Living has a team of 40 full-time and up to 600 part-time staff. On an annual basis staff handle 47,000 registrations in over 75 recreational, health and wellness activities. More than a million users access our facilities, which include North America's largest Outdoor Centre with climbing and bouldering walls, a gymnastics centre, an Olympic sized pool, a Fitness Centre with a 200 metre track, Canada's largest university Racquet Centre, five Gymnasiums and access to the Olympic Oval. The Outdoor Centre also provides its students and community over 16,000 outdoor equipment rental orders each year. Active Living's mission is to enrich lives by providing quality programming and educational experiences which promote and encourage lifelong active living for all.
Reporting to the Director of Active Living and Outdoor Centre in the Faculty of Kinesiology, the Senior Marketing and Communications Strategist is responsible for developing and implementing the marketing direction focusing on strengthening the brand, reputation and revenue generation within the strategic vision of Active Living and Outdoor Centre.
The Active Living and Outdoor Centre's integrated marketing and communications portfolio involves both traditional and digital channels, including advertising, creative services (including design, multi-media, photography and videography), promotional materials, publications, social media, website management, and ensuring successful implementation and measurement of marketing and communication plans.
A high level of professionalism and interpersonal communication skills are all critical to this role. The work requires the ability to manage multiple complex and deadline-oriented projects, shifting priorities, and the ability to direct people with different levels of authority.
Primary Purpose of the Position: (Key purpose, functions, roles):
- The Senior Marketing and Communications Strategist will be responsible for leading the development, implementation and execution of strategic marketing and communication plans, financial planning, budget management and relationship building.
- The incumbent is expected to work in a positive and supportive team environment with all levels of staff including senior level leadership with an open and consultative communication style in the coordination and implementation of marcomm projects within the operating departments.
- The position is responsible for creating and implementing tactics to promote and generate revenue through a variety of marketing channels including print, digital, web, and social networks.
- The incumbent demonstrates success in project management: planning, organizing and managing projects, including writing, creative design, photo shoots, videography and events.
- There will be periods of high volume with strict deadlines with hours varying throughout the year depending on deadlines and operational needs.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Marketing and Communications:
- Develop and implement effective marketing plans to create revenue for Active Living and Outdoor Centre through their programs, rentals, services and memberships. Support the revenue targets of $12 million plus.
- Implement marketing strategies that provide strong, consistent positioning of the Active Living and Outdoor Centre's mission to enrich lives by providing quality programming and educational experiences which promote and encourage lifelong active living for all.
- Advance awareness and broaden Active Living and Outdoor Centre brand recognition locally.
- Responsible to create and implement tactics to promote and generate revenue through a variety of marketing channels including print, digital, web, and social networks.
- Independently manage, plan and implement a range of campaigns, publications, special events, and other marketing tactics that address the goals and objectives of Active Living and Outdoor Centre marketing strategy.
- Incorporate and execute inbound requests, email, content and social media marketing in alignment with overall marketing strategy.
- Work collaboratively with leadership, staff, client-colleagues and select vendors to plan, develop and publish marketing materials for print, email, social media and web channels.
- Develop advertising plans, in traditional and digital channels, as appropriate.
- Write/review ad and social media copy, write video scripts and other marketing content, as per The Canadian Press Stylebook, as well as lead production and report on marketing results.
- Work to ensure alignment of marketing with the Faculty of Kinesiology and the University of Calgary brand.
- Identify gaps in communication toolkits or guidance required to support the marketing needs as well as champion solutions.
- Will exercise judgment concerning the flow of information, particularly in regards to responsiveness to senior leadership and stakeholders, planning priorities, commitments and initiatives.
- Handle constant, multiple, conflicting and shifting priorities while working within the framework of Active Living and Outdoor Centre.
- Supervise students or hourly staff, providing support and work direction.
- Liaise with colleagues to understand their desired outcomes, goals and objectives and provide counsel on the right marketing strategies and tactics required to meet the department goals.
- Proactive in short-term, mid-term, and long-term planning to facilitate projects in relation to the multitude of programs and services offered both within Active Living and the Outdoor Centre.
- Negotiate external contracts and lead project management for marketing projects (e.g. graphic design, working with Creative Services). Ensure all deliverables are met.
- Help to develop and finalize briefs for assigned projects, ensuring that they are complete and validated before proceeding to project launch.
- Work closely with senior management to advise in long-range planning for Active Living and Outdoor Centre. Incumbent is accountable to drive projects as they see fit.
- Assist with content review/validation/refinement (as needed).
- Participate in proofing and proof-reading processes as required.
- Provide input as needed for changes to procedures and practices.
- Interface with external vendors and suppliers as required to ensure project completion.
- Deal effectively with complex issues, using judgment, common sense and problem-solving skills.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with leadership and colleagues within Active Living, Outdoor Centre and Faculty of Kinesiology, vendors and other consumers of marketing offerings.
- Participate actively in the cross-campus marketing council.
- Provide effective marketing guidance and support to unit team members.
- Manage and coordinate with outside agencies and vendors as required.
- Ensure that communications are timely, accurate, informative, professional, and represent the university appropriately.
- Manage complex issues and challenging interpersonal interactions with composure and diplomacy.
- Seek expert opinions and advice where appropriate and considered reliable.
Financials, Budgeting and Reporting:
- Independently determine best utilization of funds, develop project budgets, secure approval, and subsequently manage those project-specific expenditures.
- Work with the Director of Active Living and Outdoor Centre Director in consultation with the Director of Communications and Marketing to articulate spending priorities, monitor adherence to budget commitments, and investigate discrepancies.
- Provide regular updates, including written reports and data analysis, including leads and funnel analysis, related to plans and campaigns.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Post-secondary degree in business, marketing, public relations or related field and a minimum 8-10 years of experience creating and executing effective marketing plans, leveraging market research data, and developing tactics aimed at various target audiences. A background in recreation and/or health and wellness marketing would be an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of budget management skills with an emphasis on revenue generation by enhancing registration in programs, increasing the number of users in our facilities and clients renting Outdoor Centre gear.
- Demonstrated excellence creating and executing effective marketing plans, leveraging market research data, and developing tactics aimed at various target audiences.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and problem-solving skills that are both diplomatic and effective.
- Ability to forge strong relationships.
- Strategic planning experience and analytical skills to forecast and identify trends.
- Extensive experience in marketing, advertising, brand management, creative design, social media and website development.
- Strong writing skills with experience in marketing-focused writing/editing, creative thinking and production of marketing collateral and publications (print and digital). High attention to detail.
- Technical fluency across both traditional marketing and new media platforms, including InDesign, Photoshop, Hootsuite, video, and email marketing platform such as Marketo.
- Comprehensive understanding of how to leverage social media to strategic advantage.
- Knowledge and expertise in formulating and innovative competitive strategies and practices.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability, results oriented leader with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent project management skills with demonstrated success in planning, organizing and managing projects.
- Strong ability to work under pressure with competing deadlines and to handle numerous priorities at once. Experience with project management systems and tools is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work with peers to enhance business process with cross-functional teams.
- Work professionally and collaboratively with other campus marketers as well as other members in the Faculty of Kinesiology team.
- Experience in a large, complex organization.
- Familiarity with media relations and issues management is an asset.
Application Deadline: June 24, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Faculty of Kinesiology visit Careers in the Faculty of Kinesiology.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.