Date Posted: 05/06/2021
Faculty/Division: Office of the President
Department: Office of Vice President, Communications
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
University of Toronto Communications (UTC) is the University's central resource for communications expertise. We are a group of strategists, planners, marketing specialists, editors, writers, designers, content creators, digital/social experts and visual artists. Our job is to work with partners throughout the U of T community as we all tell the University's great story.
The Communications Planner helps to develop and execute strategic communications plans, ensuring that activities are completed within agreed upon timelines and that internal stakeholder groups are informed of progress. The planner is responsible for helping the Director, Communications Strategy & Planning to develop and execute communication strategies and plans on a broad range of high profile topics and initiatives. The incumbent will also play a role in supporting the University's priorities by helping to develop communications strategies that integrate various communication media, tools and products from across the institution.
The incumbent provides a liaison role between University of Toronto Communications and partners around the University. The Communications Planner is also responsible for writing a variety of documents including correspondence, briefing notes, reports and other content as needed. The responsibilities also include ensuring written material conforms to the University's style and quality requirements, giving consideration to purpose, audience need and context of location/event.
Your responsibilities will include:
Developing and implementing marketing plans to promote programs, events and/or initiatives that support strategic objectives.
- Developing and implementing marketing plans to support business development and revenue-generating strategies and/or activities.
- Advising on marketing best practices and brand-building opportunities.
- Fostering relationships with internal and external contacts in the coordination of marketing activities.
- Building and strengthening relationships with stakeholders and partners of strategic importance.
- Consulting with clients regarding the development of project scope and resources. Implementing marketing project plans.
- Delivering presentations to promote programs, opportunities and/or initiatives.
- Producing promotional and outreach materials. Conducting market research and analysis.
- Planning and estimating financial resources required for programs and/or projects.
- Monitoring accounts for a project and/or program.
- Serving as a resource to others by providing (non-supervisory) administrative guidance.
Bachelor's Degree in communications, marketing and/or journalism or an acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years of related experience.
- Experience developing and implementing innovative and creative strategic communication plans.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, overseeing project timelines and dealing with multiple deliverables and deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience work in a complex public sector environment, preferably within a university setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of communications planning, print and digital media.
- Demonstrated writing experience, including demonstrated ability to write in a variety of styles and voices for a range of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the university's mission and intersection with the broader community.
- Superior oral and written communication.
- Interpersonal, decision-making and organizational skills.
- Highly developed research and presentation skills with the ability to process, synthesize and present a diverse range of information to a varied audience.
- Must be highly collaborative and service-oriented.
- Strong editing skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative and analytical ability.
- Ability to proactively manage a large and constantly fluctuating workload and to meet tight and often unpredictable deadlines.
- Professional demeanor and ability to exercise tact, judgment, discretion and a high degree of political acuity.
- Ability to maintain strict standards of confidentiality.
- Creative, innovative and resourceful.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
Closing Date: 06/15/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget
Schedule: Full-Time. Regular daytime schedule. Overtime on weekdays. Occasional overtime on weekends.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 13
- $74,781 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $95,634. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations