Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Communications Specialist.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Bachelor's degree in Public Relations/Journalism/Marketing, Advanced Diploma Public Relations plus undergraduate degree, or combination of relevant education and experience
- Minimum three years' experience in public relations/communications /marketing
- Superior writing/editing skills
- Experience in creative writing, project management, photography, and design
- Experience working with a content management system (CMS) to manage website properties
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. Photoshop and InDesign), iMovie, Sendible, Google Analytics
- Experience with social media channel management, maintenance and measurement
- Flexibility to work overtime as required
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced, diverse and growth-oriented environment and prioritize work and delivery to deadlines
- Ability to work (written and spoken) in English and French will be considered an asset
- Experience in a project based industrial work environment will be considered an asset
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Create content for Irving Shipbuilding media channels (internal and external, traditional and social)
- Lead photo/video capture and production for events, announcements, visits, etc.
- Lead design and production of brochures, newsletters, corporate videos, presentations, signage, advertisements and other communications products
- Manage all ISI external websites: ensure functionality, permissions, access and branding
- Provide branding guidance for all internal websites
- Develop social and traditional media monitoring reports and analysis
- Monitor and analyze the effectiveness of social and digital properties using analytical software, such as Google Analytics
- Manage image library
- Assist in organizing on-site events at our various operations, media conferences, and company announcements that include the gathering and production of various communication products in a diversity of mediums
- Assist in other communications activities & projects, as required
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ?Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at via Isarta.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.