Open to both Internal and external
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Applications will be reviewed commencing the closing application date and may continue until the position is filled.
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Marketing and Communications, and working collaboratively with the Associate Director, Strategic Communications, this position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of integrated, institution-wide marketing strategies to enhance the TRU brand and support the university's mission, goals, and strategic priorities. The Director of Marketing plays a pivotal role in the evolution and protection of TRU's brand and identity, and is accountable for the university's overall marketing strategy, digital experience, and core creative services.
The Director of Marketing drives research-based, results-driven marketing strategies and plans that are implemented across multiple channels in digital and print media, fostering meaningful and conversion-oriented engagement with TRU's many target audiences. The position works collaboratively with divisional leaders, faculties and marketers across campus to advance both pan-institutional and area-specific marketing priorities, facilitating synergies for efficiency and optimization, measuring and analyzing the effectiveness and outcomes of all activities, and ensuring that marketing strategies and plans across the institution are brand-aligned.
The Director of Marketing is a key liaison to the university's faculties and major divisions such as TRU Open Learning, TRU World, and Enrolment Services, effectively communicating the brand's core strengths in a manner that supports the distinct units while also enhancing the university's overall reputation. The incumbent provides counsel and guidance on marketing principles and best practices to TRU's leaders and marketers.
The incumbent leads a full-service department of professionals in brand and identity, marketing strategy (including advertising), creative services, and digital experience. The Director manages, mentors and coaches staff to ensure a high level of quality and consistency in all presentations of TRU's brand across multiple channels, and a high level of employee motivation and engagement.
The ideal candidate is both a visionary and business-minded, with a track record in the planning, implementation, communication and analysis of brand-aligned, results-driven marketing strategies.
- Develop and implement institutional, data-driven marketing strategies and plans which are brand-aligned and support overall university goals and priorities.
- Manage, plan and implement a broad range of campaigns, initiatives, projects and tools that enhance a positive image and reputation for the university, working collaboratively with the Associate Director, Strategic Communications
- Lead and manage the institutional marketing portfolio of: brand and identity, marketing strategy (including advertising), creative services, and digital experience.
- Foster brand alignment and consistency of marketing initiatives across faculties and departments, linking these initiatives to overarching university marketing goals as appropriate and working collaboratively and thoughtfully with leaders and marketers across campus
- Provide counsel and guidance on marketing principles and best practices to the marketing team, and to leaders and marketers across campus.
- Communicate and continuously reinforce the university's brand and identity standards in the interest of protecting the professional reputation and distinct positioning of the institution, including overseeing an effective visual identity system with guidelines
- Use market research to inform the development of marketing strategies and plans.
- Develop and monitor metrics for evaluating the effectiveness of marketing strategies and activities.
- Plan, allocate and hold accountability for human and financial resources, and ensure effective and efficient use of those resources
- Develop, on an annual basis, and manage a comprehensive, measurable operating plan and budget
- Coach and motivate staff and provide ongoing mentorship and professional development
- Collaborate with other campus units on financial and human resource optimizations for pan-institutional marketing strategies, plans, campaigns and initiatives
- Stay abreast of current trends and best practices in marketing and apply learnings to the TRU environment as appropriate
- Be a strong, contributing member of the senior MarCom team.
- Represent the marketing function on senior university working groups and committees.
Associate Vice President, Marketing and Communications
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS
- A post-secondary degree in business, marketing, marketing communications, advertising, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in the marketing field, with several years at a senior level and responsibility for a staff complement. Post-secondary experience is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and implementing strategic and integrated marketing strategies, including effective creation and execution of projects and campaigns aimed at multiple audiences.
- Experience driving and leveraging the results of a market research program.
- Strong understanding of and experience with leveraging marketing opportunities in the digital domain, including campaign and process automation, as well as lead generation, nurturing and conversions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Understanding of the collegial decision-making process.
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment governed by stringent deadlines and budgets and the competing priorities and interests of diverse stakeholder groups.
- Excellent skills in balancing strategic thinking with tactical execution and creative marketing ideas with data-driven decision-making.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Budget planning and oversight experience.
- Proven success in working with agencies and other external suppliers to develop and manage integrated marketing campaigns.
- Demonstrated proficiency in team management including appropriate staff recruitment, workload and project assignment, performance counselling, skill building, and motivation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional and cross-departmental teams and develop positive relationships and partnerships with diverse leaders and stakeholders towards the achievement of common, overarching goals.
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University
- > Marketing and Communications
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Color, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about Thompson Rivers University or living in Kamloops or Williams Lake please visit our Career website.