About Orpyx Medical Technologies Inc.
Orpyx develops sensor-based wearable solutions to prevent diabetic foot complications. We are an ISO 13485 company committed to providing quality medical devices that consistently meet customer needs and regulatory requirements. Orpyx® SI Sensory Insole System is comprised of sensor-embedded custom insoles used to empower people with diabetes to extend mobility by preventing dreaded diabetes-related complications such as foot ulcers and amputation. The sensory insoles send feedback to an app-based display, alerting the wearer in real-time of dangerous plantar pressures, enabling them to adjust behavior immediately to help prevent damage from occurring. The sensory data is uploaded to the Orpyx SI cloud-based dashboard where the data can be remotely monitor between care visits. Our business model is a combination of medical device sales and SaaS (software-as-a-service) and meets the requirements for HCPCS and CPT reimbursement.
Who we are
The people at Orpyx are flexible thinkers and creative innovators. We come from a variety of backgrounds and carry a wealth of expertise in multiple industries, including medical, technology, software, marketing and finance. What we all have in common is an intense passion for the work we do. We have an extraordinary collection of talent that makes working here fun, unique and inspiring. Our hiring goal moving forward is to continue to build and grow a strong, effective team, while maintaining our friendly and innovative company culture.
Reporting to the Intellectual Property Manager and working as part of a cross-functional team, the Intellectual Property Technical Writer captures invention disclosure information from innovators for future patent applications, supports capturing the work done by the research and development team for grants and supports patent agent(s) with technical information for securing and protecting the company intellectual property assets. The successful candidate is passionate about promoting innovation, supporting the framework for innovation, and capturing innovation as it happens. The successful candidate is a versatile writer with experience writing for a scientific audience and adapt at producing clear technical descriptions for patent submissions.
- Collaborate with and maintain strong relationships with internal Intellectual Property (IP) stewards;
- Interview internal and external subject matter experts;
- Solicit, decipher and synopsize technical information from subject matter experts;
- Produce clear technical descriptions for patent-related documents and IP data products;
- Produce clear technical descriptions for Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED), and grant submissions;
- Conduct prior art searches;
- Assist with intellectual property processes;
- Organize and maintain intellectual property technical document repository;
- Contract and intellectual property docketing;
- Maintain a clean, and safe working environment;
- Perform duties in a manner that is consistent with and committed to upholding the requirements of the quality management system; and
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Additionally, due to the ever-changing and sometimes chaotic environment of an early-stage high-tech company, the Intellectual Property Technical Writer may assume additional responsibilities, as required.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Engineering, Physics or equivalent combination of education and experience, required;
- Ability to observe, listen and question for technical understanding, while guiding inventors to identify and articulate a potentially patentable invention, required;
- Great attention to detail with excellent organizational and coordination abilities, required;
- Flair for capturing complex ideas and technology into easy-to-understand documentation for technical and non-technical readers;
- Effective technical writing and verbal communication skills, required;
- Fluent in English, required;
- Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, required;
- Ability to respond with the flexibility to changing priorities, required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), required;
- Ability to function in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment, required;
- Must be computer-savvy and well-versed in document editing software (i.e. Word, etc.), required;
- Stays abreast of the trends and emerging technologies, required;
- Ability and experience in working effectively with teams but also independently or with minimal supervision, and is highly motivated, required;
- Solid research and writing skills, required;
- Industry related experience, preferably in medical devices or sensor-embedded technology, asset;
- Experience in corporate technology development role, asset;
- Knowledge of IP principles, policies and practices, asset;
- Experience cultivating relationships across company departments role, asset;
- Knowledge of IP processes relating to product management, asset;
- Experience in patent prosecution and patent drafting, asset;
- Experience identifying, protecting and facilitating the development of Intellectual Property, asset;
- Experience negotiating and drafting agreements for the protection of Intellectual Property assets and their creator's rights, asset;
Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours per week from Monday to Friday. This role is not overtime-eligible.
Employment Status: full-time
Work Location: Calgary, Alberta. Please note that this position is open to local candidates only.
Application Instructions and Deadline: Please submit a resume and cover letter that outlines why your skills, experience and personality would make you an excellent candidate for the Intellectual Property Technical Writer role at Orpyx Medical Technologies Inc. If you are interested in joining our team, please apply before June 8, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. MST.
For more information, visit: https://www.orpyx.com