Job Posting Details
Corporate Communications Specialist (Full Time)
William Osler Health System (Osler) is a multi-site hospital system serving 1.3 million people in one of the fastest-growing and most culturally-diverse regions in Ontario.
With our 2019-24 Corporate Strategic Plan, Going Beyond for Healthier Communities as our roadmap, we are shifting traditional thinking and re-imagining health care to help people live healthier lives, reduce chronic disease and improve access to care.
At Osler, we are committed to providing safe, equitable, high-quality care in a fulfilling work environment that inspires our staff, physicians and volunteers to learn, innovate and grow. We are proud to be recognized, year after year, as one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers and Canada's Best Diversity Employers.
Here you will work alongside a highly-committed and respected team that understands what it means to go beyond to meet the health care needs of our communities.
The Corporate Communications Specialist is a strategic thinker, problem-solver, storyteller and outstanding communicator. They are responsible for crafting and implementing various communications, programs and vehicles, from concept through to production and evaluation, to support Osler's staff, physicians, volunteers, patients and families, and the communities we serve. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Corporate Communications, the Communications Specialist works alongside Osler's Public Relations, Digital Media and External/Government Relations teams within Osler's Strategic Communications Portfolio.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or similar discipline
- 7 years of experience in corporate communications or public relations in a hospital or health care setting
- Solid knowledge of communications, public and/or media relations, marketing and branding principles, combined with exceptional project management skills and attention to detail
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated ability to take complex, sensitive and/or clinical information and quickly translate it into compelling messages/copy/stories to reach multiple and varying audiences (i.e. employees, patients, visitors, community members etc.) using a variety of communication vehicles/tools (i.e. memo, newsletter article, social post, news release etc.)
- Experience and comfort providing strategic advice, support and services to clients across all levels of the organization, from frontline to management to senior leadership
- Excellent critical thinking and judgment skills
- Desire to find creative solutions to barriers and turn challenges into opportunities
- Ability to work on a broad scope of projects for various audiences ranging from corporate-wide initiatives to single-focus projects and issues
- Fluent in various internal and external/public relations/media communication channels, tools, vehicles and products, traditional and social/digital
- Proofreading and editing skills a must
- Works well under pressure and thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, managing multiple competing projects/priorities with shifting deadlines and deliverables
- Team player, able to work collaboratively at all levels of the organization and build partnership with cross-functional teams and takes great pride, ownership and accountability of their work
- Can work onsite and remotely (depending on business needs) and travel between all Osler sites as required
- Responsible for providing strategic advice and leading the production of communications, including executive communications, organization/corporate-wide communications, crisis communications
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategic communications plans, products and strategies (e.g. communication and rollout plans, key messages, speaking notes, memos, statements, briefing notes, news releases, presentations, posters, brochures, booklets, postcards, blogs, video scripts, web and social media content, surveys/questionnaires etc.) to address and respond to the needs of diverse internal and external audiences and promote organizational programs and services in a proactive and positive manner etc.
- Monitor issues, emerging trends and themes within the organization, as well as in the community, and develop communications plans or provide counsel on how to manage these developments and to address business issues or threats.
- Manage and/or contribute to communications programs, including corporate events, corporate branding activities, communications projects and initiatives from various departments (e.g. human resources, finance, patient experience-including patient and family communications, professional practice, privacy, ethics, information technology, facilities and redevelopment etc.) and clinical services and programs
- Support Foundation and Volunteer programs, fundraising activities and events as required
HOURS: Days (some evening and weekend work in accordance with operational requirements)
Interested applicants are invited to apply online at www.williamoslerhs.ca to job posting #14564 by May 26, 2021.
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. (AODA). If you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at via Isarta.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose.