Position Type: Permanent, Unionized
Location: Vancouver, BC
Date Posted: May 18, 2021
Closing Date: June 1, 2021
This is a terrific opportunity for someone passionate about environmental protection, who enjoys writing and understands the grant-making process. Ecojustice's Grant Writer (Western Canada) will be responsible for researching funders, writing and coordinating grant applications, reporting to funders, and maintaining a donor database.
The Grant Writer will work closely with staff lawyers and scientists to gather information and produce compelling materials for funders including Letters of Interest, Proposals, Interim and Formal Reports to raise funds primarily from public and private foundations. The Grant Writer (Western Canada) will work closely with a counterpart in Eastern Canada and a team of relationship managers to engage Ecojustice's highest level of supporters.
This role is remote-based until at least Summer 2021, but with work focused in and around Western Canada, the ideal candidate will be able to access Ecojustice's Vancouver office once public health orders allow.
Working with Ecojustice means joining a team of passionate, hard-working professionals. We strive to build a diverse, inclusive and respectful working environment, with a workforce that is reflective of modern Canada and where all employees are valued for their contributions to our mission. Ecojustice is 100 percent funded by individuals and organizations who share our values. To learn more about how we are building the case for a better earth, please visit: www.ecojustice.ca.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Ecojustice:
Ecojustice is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. We will prioritize applications from individuals with relevant technical skills and who have personal or lived experiences of environmental racism and injustice and/or identify as Indigenous, Black, Asian, Latinx, LGBTQ2S+, or as a member of an underrepresented community.
Salary and Benefits:
Ecojustice offers a comprehensive total compensation package, which includes:
- Extended health and dental coverage for employees and their dependents
- RSP matching program
- Wellness spending account for every employee
- Family-friendly workplace policies, including a generous annual vacation allowance (starting at 3 weeks and increasing to 6 weeks), annual Care Days for physical wellbeing, mental wellbeing, and caring responsibilities, Winter office closure, annual paid float days, parental leave top-ups, monthly personal paid time off, and workplace culture with an emphasis on work-life balance;
- Volunteering incentives
- to enable all employees to give back to the communities and causes that they are passionate about.
About the Role:
As a member of the Ecojustice Philanthropy team, the Grant Writer will:
Develop tailored, strategic, persuasive and creative content for key funders; primarily focused on, but not limited to, public and private foundations:
- Consult legal program teams to identify initiatives that require funding
- In collaboration with the relationship managers, identify the materials and content required for funders
- Write, modify, and enhance detailed persuasive cases for support/proposals, reports and other information for donors, tailored to their interests and needs
- Record and maintain donor information using Raiser's Edge and other systems as needed
- Consult program staff to prepare reports and other updates for funders
- Ensure that accurate reports and financial accountabilities are prepared in advance of funding deadlines
Identify and evaluate new funding sources to build viable prospect lists:
- In collaboration with the Philanthropy Associate and/or volunteers, conduct prospect research and evaluate prospect viability
- Monitor foundation and philanthropy news, including foundation press releases, website updates and announcements, and trends in institutional giving to identify new funding opportunities
Contribute to the development of philanthropy strategic plan:
- In collaboration with the Philanthropy Team, set annual goals and develop an annual work plan
- With the Foundations and Leadership Giving Team, develop and report on KPIs to monitor progress and modify as needed
- Evaluate and provide progress updates to Philanthropy Team at regular review meetings
Note: This job may require additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by Ecojustice
Education & experience requirements:
- 3+ years within a charitable environment
- Proven record of making successful applications for substantial funding from foundations, trusts and/or other grant-making bodies
- Educated to degree level or possess relevant qualifications and/or appropriate experience in a directly related post.
Knowledge required to perform duties:
- Knowledge of current environmental issues
- Knowledge of grant-making processes
- Proficiency in drafting funding proposals and reports
- Understanding of Ethical and Imagine Canada Fundraising principles and CRA guidelines, and the current granting Environment
- Basic budgeting skills
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Comfortable using Raiser's Edge
Skills and abilities required to perform duties:
- Customer Service/Relationship Management
- Establish and cultivate strong and positive relationships with individuals within the organization and foundation program officers
- Planning Skills - Has the ability to implement and focus on efforts needed to complete a task or project
- Project Management - Has the ability to use communication, delegation, planning and implementing skills to run a project smoothly, ability to prioritize multiple tasks, use independent judgment and follow-through with minimal supervision.
- Proposal Writing skills - Has the ability and talent to develop persuasive and informative proposals
- Takes initiative, is self-motivated and has the ability to think creatively and identify opportunities
Interested applicants should submit a cover email, outlining their interest in this role, along with a copy of their resume to https://ecojustice.ca/careers/ no later than 5pm PDT Tuesday, June 1, 2021.