We are currently accepting applications for the position of Senior Communications Specialist. (Continuous, full-time)
Reporting to the Manager, Communications, the Senior Communications Specialist is responsible for the creation and delivery of internal and external (earned media) communications strategies and tactics that proactively support the achievement of the College's strategic priorities. The Senior Communications Specialist is responsible for the creation and delivery of campus-wide communications that engage and inform the College's faculty staff, and learners.
The Senior Communications Specialist provides oversight and supervision of the social media team. This role works collaboratively with the Marketing & Communications team in the integrated communication and delivery of relevant, authentic storytelling that connects audiences with the brand.
What you will be doing:
Communications & Issues Management
- Liaises with the Director and leadership team to provide internal communications services to employees and learners.
- Develops and implements employee communications and engagement programs (in collaboration with Human Resources) including drafting communications strategies and evaluation reports.
- Promotes, protects and enhances the reputation of the Bow Valley College brand through media relations, issues management and social media.
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of key messages for internal and external audiences.
- Develops and writes College-wide materials for both print and electronic media.
- Liaises with internal stakeholders, to provide external communication services including to learners, media and the public.
- Produces and disseminates written materials for internal and external publications and all online communications tools, including social media and the College's intranet.
- Responsible for ensuring delivery of the crisis communications plan re-design.
- Accountable for ensuring proper protocols are followed for addressing any emerging issues,
- Assists in the development, revision and testing of the crisis communications plan.
- Updates policies, procedures, and best practices after crisis communications reviews to address gaps.
Leadership, Project Management and Oversight
- The Senior Communications Specialist works collaboratively with internal stakeholders, such as the Executive and committees or working groups and representatives from respective departments, external contacts, media, and consults with the Director on an as-needed basis.
- Acts as an internal communications champion, spearheading new and/or improved methods of communicating with faculty and staff (including use of new media platforms).
- Ability to see the big picture and builds his/her team toward that end.
- Responsible for the hiring, performance and day to day supervision of the Social Media team.
- Addresses issues and problems encountered on a day-to-day basis and finding constructive solutions.
- Exercises a high level of diplomacy and discretion, and develops strong rapport and relationships with all stakeholder groups, allowing for open and constructive communication and collaboration towards communications objectives
- Directly involved in the assignment of projects, support and direct the Social Media team with their daily tasks, facilitating brainstorming meetings, and liaising between the communications team, Director and internal clients.
- Sets agreed-to benchmarks of success that are congruent with the overall benchmarks set by the College as well as benchmarks that are established by the Department.
- Ability to exercise extensive judgement and decision making on a daily basis in managing proactive and reactive communication needs and issues. Every action and decision could have a significant impact on the brand and reputation of the College.
Strategic Planning and Evaluation
- The Senior Communication Specialist will play a role in the design and development of the Annual Marketing and Communications Departmental Plan, including working with the Director and peers in the creation of benchmarks of measurement and evaluation of related achievements at the end of the planning year as it relates to earned media, social media and internal communications.
- Adopts industry best practice to ensure meaningful employee communication and engagement.
- This position will also construct and deliver a consultation process with all stakeholders on the service, quality, and finished products of the departments' deliverables with the results providing the framework for improved service and planning.
- Develops the editorial and direction for external and internal communications, social media efforts that support the achievement of the College's strategic priorities.
- Responsible for providing metrics and measurement for earned media and social media performance as well as service and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent work experience within the field of communications.
- Minimum of five years' experience or communications services or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exceptional oral and written communication, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Degree in Communications preferred.
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated.
- Experience delivering internal communications within a large, complex organization.
- Ability to establish a high level of rapport with colleagues within the College community; utilize judgment and sensitivity in presenting issues; provides leadership in determining appropriate courses of action.
- Ability to effectively manage sensitive or controversial issues.
- Understands the dynamics of a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and can prioritize effectively. Possesses a collaborative, team-focused working style.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Lives our team values by being a good listener and collaborator, a creative storyteller and problem solver.
- Is an innovative thought leader who is entrepreneurial and resourceful, authentic and transparent
- Embraces and embodies College brand attributes of bold, open and a global perspective.
Building/Nurturing/Fostering Relationships & Organization-wide Perspective
- Nurtures collaborative alliances and partnerships that benefit their department.
- Develops and directs new articulations and partnerships.
- Appreciates how diverse perspectives can benefit their faculty/department.
- Reinforces change messages across teams and helps others adapt to different ways of doing business.
- Communicates effectively the purpose and benefits of functional and faculty/department change initiatives, building the buy-in of a range of stakeholder groups.
- Looks for opportunities to ?showcase? the organization's capabilities.
- Promotes the organization's reputation as an innovative, entrepreneurial college that anticipates and responds to workforce realities and community needs.
Critical Decision Making
- Considers multiple business factors (e.g. long term and short-term impacts; organizational and financial consequences) when weighing the merits of alternative strategies.
- Makes time-critical decisions even though they may be difficult, sensitive or controversial.
Open Communication/ Listening
- Informs department and/or affected individuals of possible implications of events occurring inside or outside the organization.
- Promotes information sharing and open channels of communication within their department.
Plans for the Future (Business Acumen)
- Remains current with emerging academic, industry and relevant external environment trends affecting their department.
- Contributes to the development of their function's vision and strategic direction.
- Sets a vision and strategic direction for their faculty/department that aligns and supports the School's and College's strategic plan, business plan, academic framework and academic plan.
- Ensures strategic direction for collaborative and joint programs is in alignment with the vision and mission of both partnership institutions
Innovates and Inspires Creativity and Fosters Engagement (Entrepreneurship/Intrapreneurship):
- Promotes innovation and creative thinking within their faculty/department.
- Develops ideas to evolve their department
Develops Leadership Capabilities
- Aligns capabilities with the needs and demands of their faculty/department.
- Provides appropriate upward feedback. Develops direct reports through regular coaching, career planning and proactive performance management.
This is a continuous, Exempt position. Please note all successful candidates will be required to provide copies of government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
Bow Valley College is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within our community. We welcome applications from qualified candidates who would contribute to the further diversification of our employees including, but not limited to, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Minimum Education Requirements
- CA (Primary)
FTE Per Individual (%)
Commensurate with experience