Date Posted: 04/23/2021
Faculty/Division: Operations & Real Estate Partnerships
Department: Ancillary Services
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
University Development and Campus Services (UDCS) is a newly created division, made up of the Ancillary Services and Real Estate departments on the St. George campus. Functions of the division include student and faculty housing, transportation, conferences & events, commercial and academic leasing, real estate acquisitions, food & beverage services and trademark licensing. The UDCS team also leads the underwriting of new development opportunities, and the evaluation of joint-venture partnerships as part of the Four Corners Strategy, which seeks to deliver amenities to support the academic mission of the University (e.g., housing, retail, innovation space), while generating financial returns to invest strategically in the academy. This role will also work closely with the Vice-President, Communications portfolio
- University of Toronto Communications (UTC)
- to ensure strategic alignment to the University's overall communications and marketing strategies.
The role of Director, Marketing and Communications is a relatively new role which directly supervises a small central team of specialists, and indirectly leads decentralized marketing/comms personnel working in ancillary operations departments. Together, these teams develop high quality communications and marketing materials to support the work of the units within UDCS. The incumbent will be charged with refining and implementing marketing and communications strategy for individual ancillary business units (e.g., Food Services, Campus Events, Housing), leading a branding review for UDCS as a whole, and developing the right team to execute the strategy. These efforts will leverage and support the University's communications, marketing and branding goals and objectives.
Reporting jointly to the Assistant Vice-President, Ancillary Services, and the Vice-President Communications (or designate), with direction also provided by the Director of Real Estate (in relation to Four Corners), the Director, Marketing and Communications provides strategic counsel and spearheads efforts to develop, execute and strengthen the division's marketing and communications strategies. They also oversee the development and consistent application of the Ancillary Services and Four Corners brands, and collaborate closely with colleagues in UT Communications (UTC) to ensure that overall messaging and branding align with those of the University, and that UDCS is well represented within the larger University story.
The Director is responsible for marketing and communication efforts that build the profile of the University, and of UDCS. The Director ensures that the division's marketing and communications strategies are well integrated and sensitive to the needs of diverse audiences. They are the resident expert in marketing and communications, providing leadership in digital communications, social media, and the division's websites, leading the exploration and potential adoption of new approaches and technologies. The Director builds, inspires, empowers and manages a team of creative professionals and is a member of the senior leadership team in Ancillary Services. They contribute to the advancement of overall strategic goals for the division, and play an active and direct role in supporting business development through marketing and communications activities in support of substantial new and diversified revenue streams. The incumbent develops policies and procedures; and ensures mechanisms are developed and implemented to annually review and evaluate department mandates.
Master's degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum seven (7) to ten (10) years' related progressive marketing and communications experience, with at last 3 years at a senior level. Significant management experience with a proven ability to inspire and guide teams toward the achievement of challenging goals.
- Extensive experience in all aspects of strategic marketing and communications, from message development and identifying target audiences to the execution of programs and campaigns across multiple channels.
- Proven effectiveness in targeting key segments, tailoring communications, overseeing creative execution and delivering positive results.
- Experience in evolving a brand strategy to reflect the demands of rapidly changing marketplace, and in consistently applying brand standards to ensure unified marketing and communications.
- Demonstrated success growing revenues and/or increasing public interest, with tangible measures of growth.
- Experience in successfully developing and implementing strategic plans in complex organizations with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in guiding and counseling senior leaders on strategic communications issues, including the development of messages, identifying audiences, mapping out initiatives and establishing the criteria for success.
- Experience in balancing the interests of internal clients and diplomatically aligning diverse communications priorities around a common agenda and a consistent strategy.
- Strong track record of building online and social media PR profile, as well as traditional media relations.
- Experience in managing digital communications
- including web, email and social media
- within the overall digital ecosystem of a parent organization.
Strong leadership, team-building and interpersonal skills. Able to motivate others to align their efforts and strive for a higher standard. A high level of business acumen, with demonstrated success in linking strategy to results and leveraging significant investments to yield sustainable returns. Superior written and verbal communications, including presentation skills. Agile and efficient in managing multiple complex projects simultaneously to produce valued outcomes. A determined, action-oriented leader, focused on achieving goals. A creative thinker who grounds innovative ideas in a solid grasp of the details, strengthened by a commitment to collaboration. A responsive and accountable problem solver who can work in a consensus-driven environment. Politically sensitive, with an ability to build professional relationships and work effectively with senior leaders across the organization, as well as externally. Consistently successful at prioritizing tasks and responsibilities and meeting deadlines.
Technical Skills: Able to assimilate, interpret and act upon large volumes of raw information. Highly refined skills in strategically deploying digital/mobile channels and social media to achieve marketing and communications goals. Proficient in the use of data-driven insights to craft relevant communications that reflect customers' preferences, priorities and aspirations. Knowledge of effective design strategies/techniques across print and digital channels. Working understanding of all aspects of web development, including user experience and interface design, and the capabilities of standard development tools. Deep familiarity with the use of analytics to enhance and modify website performance. Experience in establishing and ensuring adherence to web-accessibility standards. Familiar with the development and production of video and other multimedia assets. A keen understanding of the production of print materials, from content development through design, editorial and production. Experienced at developing effective print and digital advertising, including media planning and direction of creative agencies. Skilled at commissioning and evaluating art-directed photography, illustration and other imagery in service of a strategic goal. Familiarity with the principles and mechanics of effective public relations and media.
Ideally, some experience in a post-secondary environment, or a non-profit environment.
Closing Date: 05/14/2021,11:59PM ET
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Ancillary Operations
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 5
- Hiring Zone: $103,334
- Broadband Salary Range: $103,334
Job Category: Facilities/Ancilliary Services