Assignment Editor-News Gathering
Toronto, ON, Canada Req #1251
Thursday, April 22, 2021
Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Toronto, ON
About the Role:
Global News Toronto has an immediate, full time career opportunity for an Assignment Editor.
The successful candidate for this position will be a proven assignment editor, capable of making decisions on planning, and organizing news agendas, and will be responsible for the overall assignment desk. Knowledge of the Toronto and overall Ontario market is necessary. Managerial experience is required. This position will also involve substantial scheduling duties and various news and newsroom administration responsibilities.
- Reporting to the Managing Editor, the following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Supervise assignment desk staff and deployment of camera resources.
- Generate, pitch and come up with original angles for daily news stories as well as plan the roll-out of the story across all platforms.
- Generate and maintain a thorough assignment file with look ahead and follow up stories, both short-term and long-term.
- Must create and maintain schedules for Global Toronto news employees and resources, including replacement and vacation schedules.
- Must monitor and account for Global Toronto production costs, overtime and other incremental spending.
- Assist in planning long-term goals and objectives.
- Liaise with producers for editorial and production requirements of daily shows.
- Provide training and guidance to editorial personnel and evaluate their progress.
- Provide guidance to news staff on ethics and legalities of news coverage.
- Provide leadership and communication between employees and news management.
- Lead and conduct regular editorial production meetings.
- Perform other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- A diploma/degree in broadcasting, communications and/or journalism, combined with at least 5 years of assignment experience
- Familiarity with budgets, application of the collective agreement and an expertise in employee and resource scheduling
- Thorough knowledge of social media
- Familiarity with current state of online news reporting and where it's headed
- Experience in updating online and broadcast content with a content management system
- Management experience is an asset
- Strong writing and vetting skills and any prior field experience would be an asset.
- Must work well under pressure and be able to meet strict and ongoing deadlines
- Capable of working in a team environment while exercising a results-oriented leadership.
- Strong organizational skills, leadership, creativity, confidence and a positive attitude are also required.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day
- Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique
- and amazing
- place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
- No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
02-Media/Communications Creative & Design