Senior Vice President, Marketing
Founded in 2014 and headquartered in Toronto, Canada and with team members across the US, Open Farm is one of the fastest growing CPG companies in North America. We are transforming the way people feed their pets, with a focus on producing premium, healthy food and treats, all ethically sourced from farm-to-bowl. We believe the best foods are made with consciously sourced, top quality ingredients from farmers and fisheries who believe in doing good for all animals and the environment.
In 2021, Open Farm raised >$80MM CAD in our latest round of funding, led by leading global growth equity firm General Atlantic, who joined Open Farm's leadership team and existing minority partner, Encore Consumer Capital, on Open Farm's long-term growth journey. With annual sales growth exceeding 100 per cent over the last five years, our products can be found in over 5,500 neighbourhood pet retailers across North America as well as online at OpenFarmPet.com. Our product line, initially three products, is now recognized as a category-leader in product innovation, with a full suite of premium offerings ranging from kibble to fresh meals and supplements. Throughout our growth journey, we have stayed true to our values, partnering with international recycling leader TerraCycle? to offer a national recycling program, and became the first pet food brand in North America to offer reusable packaging on the Loop platform. Additionally, we work with ethical sourcing partners Certified Humane®, Global Animal Partnership, and Ocean Wise Seafood to provide better quality ingredients to pets, and ensure we are sourcing ingredients in a way that respects farm animals and the planet.
In our accelerated growth journey and mission to Do Some Good® for animals and the planet, we are looking for an exceptional, innovative, mission-driven marketing leader to build a globally loved brand and scale into the most successful omni-channel and sustainably focused CPG company in the world.
Reporting to the CEO and Founder, the Senior Vice President, Marketing will be an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team and will lead the full marketing function including brand, retail, growth, mission and innovation. The Senior Vice President, Marketing will be a strategic visionary, with the ability to see and communicate the big picture (current and future) and apply a strong emphasis on establishing Open Farm's brand architecture, while optimizing acquisition and retention efforts in both retail and online channels. We are looking for someone who is an adaptive out-of-the-box-thinker, with strong analytical skills and a humble hands-on approach to leading teams.
Strategy Development & Thought Leadership
- Lead the development of an integrated marketing strategy to achieve the organization's long-term goals of rapidly scaling our global presence and building an iconic and loved brand amongst pet parents
- Effectively champion this strategy within your marketing team and the broader organization to drive alignment and collaboration in execution across the business
- Establish clear metrics that correspond and drive towards the long-term plan
- Lead with a strong consumer orientation, always focused on new and better ways to serve the needs of and engage with our community of pet parents and prospective new customers
- Bring a data and insights driven approach to strategy development and tactical execution across the business
- 360 focus on all elements of brand marketing, from consumer research and insights, to creative strategy and execution, to budget allocation and strategy across media and performance channels, retail merchandising and execution, PR/communications, partnerships and other forms of brand development
- Develop and launch integrated campaigns aimed at building brand awareness and brand love, driving new customer acquisition and increasing loyalty and the lifetime value of our customers over time
- Enhance creative efforts through the work of the in-house creative team and external partners, ensuring creative execution reflects our brand personality and values and is informed by data-driven consumer insights that align with overall brand marketing strategy
- Partner with the SVP Sales to align sales, pricing, merchandising, trade and marketing strategies at retail, with a keen eye on current and future markets. Play a key role in partnering with our key retail accounts.
- Oversee all media and performance channel marketing activities and budgeted spend
- Work collaboratively with our CBO to ensure the brand vision comes to life across all applications, and manage the customer experience to plan at all touch points
- Use insights to deeply understand our customers and amplify our brand in all channels and all customer touch points
- Build and maintain relationships with key agencies, local partners and cross functional teams to achieve these goals
- Play a lead role in defining our innovation pipeline and ensuring the our offering is continuously evolving to meet the needs of pet parents, while leveraging the points of differentiation inherent in our mission and values
- Ensure cross-functional collaboration throughout the innovation process, from ideation, to R&D to go-to-market planning and commercialization in market
- Partner with our CBO to ensure Mission & Impact based projects form a core role of our innovation platform
- Be persistent in the belief that innovation is not just about building better products but also about a customer-focused approach over the entire purchase, consumption and disposal cycle
- Build, coach and develop your team to create a best-in-class marketing organization
- Assume a leadership role across the business, with a deep understanding of how we operate and the ability to create strong cross-functional and collaboration to support our overall business objectives
- Be a strong voice in determining the evolving path of our corporate strategy as we continue to scale
- Significant P&L ownership, with a focus on revenue, margin and end-to-end marketing spend
- 10-15 years, with proven experience developing and executing a successful marketing strategy at scale
- MBA (preferred)
- Experience in high growth consumer-oriented company that has fundamentally defined or reshaped consumer perception
- A strong storytelling orientation with ability to weave mission and vision into consumer facing messaging across all channels
- Experience in a highly analytical and data-driven environment, whether in a marketing role or otherwise (e.g., strategy consulting, private equity)
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills
- Combined creative, innovative and evidence-based, analytical approach to Marketing.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to grow, develop and make an impact with a mission driven, dynamic and fast-growing company
- Competitive salary, benefits and equity incentive compensation
- Great office culture (with lots of adorable pets!) and people who are thoughtful and passionate about work and community
- Full suite of benefits
- including monthly pet feeding program for someone who loves to keep their pet well fed year-round
- Annual Wellness Stipend
- discount for gym membership
We Raise the Bar / We Keep the Barn Doors Open / We Graze Lightly / We Lead the Pack / We are Inspired by Our Customers / We Have Fun Doing It
Open Farm values diversity in its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Applicants requiring a disability-related accommodation at any stage of Open Farm's recruitment process should contact via Isarta. As required by legislation, Open Farm will consult with applications requesting such an accommodation to ensure that Open Farm's recruitment process takes into account their accessibility needs