Are you a seasoned communications professional, wired for issues and crisis management? The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) is seeking a Communications & Issues Management Director. This is a critical time in health care, and our Director will join a busy and thriving team through the pace of the pandemic...and into a healthy future.
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications & Stakeholder Engagement, the Director is part of our Communications leadership team, and works closely with our Manager, Media Relations on issues and high-profile projects. You are a champion for timely, high quality messaging, combined with a calm and inclusive approach. Delivering strategic and impactful issues management services, you will focus firmly on supporting and strengthening PHSA's role and reputation
- along with BC's overall health care system.
Our Director will provide counsel to senior and executive staff on potentially sensitive and controversial issues, working collaboratively with corporate and program communications team members. Supported by the Vice President, you'll serve as the primary contact for PHSA's government partners and external stakeholders including regional health authorities and the Government Communications & Public Engagement (GCPE) team. You'll proactively identify, track and promptly respond to issues of stakeholder concern. Supported by a dynamic team, our Director will also prepare accurate, fact-based briefing materials and issues notes, and support comprehensive communications plans for strategic initiatives and government priorities.
What you'll do
- As a senior member of the Communications team and a contributing member of a high performance department, support development and implementation of communications and issues management strategies and high quality communications materials.
- Serve as central point of contact for issues management support for the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Mental Health & Addiction and other Ministries as required.
- Liaise with PHSA staff and partners at all levels, including executives, program and service staff, GCPE, Ministries and other health care stakeholders
- Lead significant proactive and reactive issues management activity, including researching and writing media statements, issues notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, and Q&A documents. Facilitate timely review and approval processes.
- Provide government relations support for activities such as the Legislative Session, including Question Period and Estimates.
- Contribute to the overall compassionate leadership of our communications team, using a coaching approach to lead other team members and/or consultants in achieving quality outcomes and superior stakeholder service.
- Provide support for media and other stakeholder events including participation in our media on-call roster, acting as an initial contact as required.
- Manage communications budgets as assigned including planning, tracking, and preparing summaries for fiscal reporting and approval by the VP.
What you bring
- Level of education, training and experience equivalent to Bachelor's degree in communications, political science, journalism or a related field supplemented by 10 years' experience in a large, multi-site unionized and/or public sector environment.
- Can create and execute strategic communication plans and respond to the needs of stakeholders in sensitive situations supported by acute awareness of the impact of actions.
- Demonstrated ability to research and write responses to manage issues and strategic projects.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills with the ability to facilitate, negotiate, and influence others to achieve results.
- Proven ability to build positive and trusting relationships to partner on accessing, interpreting and conveying complex information quickly, succinctly and accurately.
- Highly committed to team building, with proven ability to coach, develop, influence and motivate others.
- Adept at meeting tight deadlines, working under pressure, and handling highly confidential and sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Can create and nurture environments that promote outstanding client service, best practices, innovation and outcomes.
- Knowledge of labour relations, legislative policy development and processes of various levels of government is an asset.
What's in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too
- offering health, wellness, development programs to support you
- at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations
- offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs,
- travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Regular full-time
Closing date: Wednesday, April 21st, 2021 at 10:00 am
Reference number: CIMD0421
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people
- Be compassionate
- Dare to innovate
- Cultivate partnerships
- Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.