Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Senior Director, Marketing, Communications & Policy
Location: Toronto, ON
Who We Are
Habitat for Humanity GTA is a local non-profit housing organization with a global vision of a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. We mobilize communities to help working, lower-income families build strength, stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors, and community partners we provide a solid foundation for better, healthier lives for families in the GTA.
In support of our homebuilding activity, we operate a network of social enterprise home improvement stores called Habitat ReStore. Our 12 locations across the GTA procure and sell new and used donated home furnishings, appliances, and renovation materials. Proceeds from sales help cover the cost to build homes, and the items we collect and sell extends the value of household items eliminating unnecessary waste.
Join our team and help us achieve our vision for a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live.
Why Work for Us?
- A meaningful opportunity to make a difference in your local community and to have first-hand contact with the families whose lives are transformed by our work
- The pride of being part of a highly respected, high profile global charity
- A stimulating, fast paced professional opportunity in a team of like-minded ?world-changers'
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- RRSP eligibility
- Flexible work arrangements
- Internal job mobility and developmental opportunities
- Wellness initiatives including EAP and corporate gym membership rate with Goodlife Fitness
Habitat for Humanity GTA is looking for an energetic and talented communications writer to join its Marketing, Communications & Policy Team. The ideal Communications Manager for this team is an accomplished writer with an appetite to collaborate and execute on an ambitious communications strategy. They are motivated to influence both public opinion and housing policy and they have the ability to identify what the story is, and create content that helps deliver affordable housing in the GTA.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Marketing, Communications & Policy, the Communications Manager will join our Manager, Creative & Digital and Marketing & Communications Specialist to complete the team. The M&C team works closely with all departments including Fundraising, Family Services, Real Estate, Volunteer Services, and Habitat ReStore. We are proud to be a non-profit and partner with local families to create strength, stability, and self-reliance through affordable homeownership. The team is currently working remotely, but is based in Toronto.
- Build awareness of Habitat for Humanity GTA's affordable housing impact and mission
- Write articles for multiple communications vehicles, including blogs, op-eds, editorial placements, newsletters, reports, and donor-centric materials
- Effectively manage communications projects including story development, email campaigns, awareness campaigns, annual reports
- Develop communications materials including briefing documents, executive messages and speeches/speaking notes, key messaging, presentations, video content, social media content, website content
- PR & Media Relations: Write press relations, develop relationships with media, oversee media monitoring service, create media packages
- Coordinate interviews between media and Executive Team: Create prep materials including key messaging and background information
- Research and maintain awareness of trends in real estate prices, homeownership, and affordable housing and recommend new communication strategies and tactics
What You Bring
- A passion for our work in the community and ambition to understand the dynamics and opportunities of affordable housing delivery in the GTA
- The ability to deliver engaging and insightful written communications
- 5 years of experience working in communications, journalism or government relations
- An energetic collaborator keen to understand the goals of each department
- Excellent project management skills and ability to multi-task across many projects
- Nice to have:
- Experience working in or closely with government
- Knowledge of the housing industry and familiarity with housing policy, urban planning
- Desire to create social impact through affordable homeownership
- Experience creating donor communications
If you are ready to make a change in your local community and become a part of our team at Habitat for Humanity GTA, click on the Apply button within this posting or click on our Careers Page to find more: https://habitatgta.ca/careers/
Your Future at Habitat for Humanity GTA Awaits.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada throughout the duration of their employment with Habitat for Humanity GTA. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Upon individual request, we will endeavor to remove barriers to the hiring process to accommodate candidates with disabilities, providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements of the employment position. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
As part of our selection process, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Habitat for Humanity GTA, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.