Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As a Communications Officer, you are the primary point of contact for the public and first responder agencies regarding critical incidents on or near the railway. Through the collection of information and the deployment of resources, you will help facilitate a timely response, working in partnership with the CP Police Service, internal CP departments, external stakeholders, public safety and regulatory agencies. Communication Officers are required to perform both call taking and dispatch roles, often switching between the two at moment's notice. Through established policies and procedures, you will respond to routine customer service calls and high consequence emergency calls, prioritizing each with an appropriate level of urgency.
- Protect the public, the environment and CP staff, assets, operations, and reputation through thorough incident management and the identification of solutions in partnership with other CP departments;
- Initiate calls for service by thoroughly gathering information from reporting parties and accurately identifying the nature of the incident being reported;
- Initiate an appropriate response to mitigate harm and make appropriate notifications based on current procedures and knowledge of police and/or railway functions;
- Identify problems and patterns of problems which may impact the safety of staff, the public and railway operations;
- Provide effective support to patrolling officers by monitoring their current status and handling all radio communication as required;
- Provide support to officers by running investigative enquiries on CPIC, CPPS CAD, and other databases, and maintain an awareness of known risk factors.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS :
- A minimum of a High school diploma or equivalent;
- 40 WPM typing speed with 90% accuracy;
- Exceptional multitasking skills;
- Able to confidently work with and adapt to changing technology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team;
- Able to solve problems and make difficult decisions while working in high stress situations;
- Able to work various shifts including evening, weekends and holidays.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Post-secondary education, diploma or degree;
- 2 years' experience in an emergency dispatch or call centre environment;
- Proficient with Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems, radio communications and/or mapping applications;
- Knowledge of police procedures and/or CPIC experience;
- Bilingual (French/English).
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Surpass Criticall dispatch/calltaker pre-employment aptitude test thresholds
- Moderate or high fit recommendation based on dispatch personality profile
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").