Covenant House helps youth ignite their potential and reclaim their lives. As Canada's largest agency serving youth who are homeless, trafficked or at risk, we offer the widest range of 24-7 services to more than 300 young people each day. As a national leader, we educate and advocate for long-term change to improve the lives of vulnerable youth. This includes influencing public policy, leading awareness and prevention programs and continually building and sharing our knowledge. As a learning organization, we strive for excellence and programs with impact.
More than a place to stay, we provide life-changing care with unconditional love and respect. We meet youth's immediate needs and then we work together to achieve their future goals. We offer housing options, health and well-being support, training and skill development, and ongoing care once youth move into the community.
Thanks to our donors, who contribute almost 80 per cent of our $33 million annual operating budget, we are able to deliver these comprehensive programs and services. Since 1982, Covenant House has supported more than 100,000 young people.
Purpose of the position: We are seeking an intermediate level communications generalist who will report to our Manager of Integrated Content Strategy. This position will support our team in all of our business functions: print and digital content development, project management, brand management, social media and community management, event marketing and communications support and public relations.
Multi-channel content development: 30%
- Write and edit for multi-channel use, including e-newsletters, e-blasts, blog posts and web content.
- Assist with social media content development for specific campaigns and projects and lead community management for these campaigns.
- Support our awareness and prevention team with the development and refresh of communications collateral and presentations.
- Assist in the development of communications products to support our program areas.
- Assist in the development of briefs and scripts for video content.
Project management: 30%
- Project manage the development, design and content for print and digital communication products.
- Lead the management of our annual report, which includes managing our vendor relationships, internal approvals, keeping the project on-schedule and on-budget, developing creative and tactical briefs, writing content, copy editing, and completing other tasks as required.
- Assist in the development and roll-out of Communications strategies and plans for campaigns, programs, initiatives and events.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of our annual departmental plans.
- Lead the development and review of creative and tactical briefs for projects to ensure alignment with strategy and client needs.
- Help establish the agency's impact narrative for the year by consolidating relevant external research and internal outcome and output data.
- Assist in yearly competitive analysis and environmental scanning for the Communications team.
- Lead the monitoring of charity watchdog reviews of the agency and provide recommended actions to improve our scores.
Brand management: 5%
- Ensure all communications products align with our brand look and feel, in addition to language guidelines.
- Support other teams in aligning their work with the brand guidelines.
Donor support: 5%
- Lead donor tours and respond to written and telephone inquiries from donors.
- Assist with management of our corporate website, comfortably navigating our WordPress CMS.
- Develop and/or refine web content for our corporate website and microsites.
Public relations: 5%
- Conduct research on media angles or journalists.
- Assist with on-site media relations support for CHT events and pro-active and reactive requests.
- Support the associate manager of public relations with development of pitches and follow-up, as required.
- Assist with tracking of mentions, impressions and engagements, as required.
- Three to five years of related work experience.
- University degree or college diploma in journalism, communications or public relations.
- Proficiency in MS Office, WordPress and professional use of social media channels (esp. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram) required.
- Project management
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Proactive, with a high level of organization
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage short and long-term projects concurrently
- Cool head under pressure
- Problem-solving and adaptability
- Strong attention to detail
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume (please include cover letter in the same document as the resume) https://covenanthouse.applytojob.com/ no later than February 12, 2021. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Covenant House Toronto we believe in a workplace culture of inclusion that is welcoming, respectful and safe for all staff. It is critical to Covenant House Toronto success to eliminate barriers and promote the inclusion of equity groups. Equity groups have been, and continue to be, underrepresented and marginalized in the workforce, leadership roles, and in some specific occupations. Equity groups include but may not be limited to Indigenous persons, racialized people, gender diverse people, 2SLGBTQIA+ people, and people with disabilities.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Covenant House Policy on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the Covenant House recruitment process.
Powered by JazzHR