Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media company with a long history in daily and community newspapers, book publishing and digital businesses.
Built on the foundation of the Toronto Star, one of North America's great Metropolitan daily newspapers, Torstar has grown into a diversified media company with a growing portfolio of businesses and investments that reach consumers in Canada, the United States and around the world.
The company publishes more than 70 print and digital newspapers and operates dozens of digital businesses in Canada through its main operating segments, Daily News Brands, Community Brands and Digital Ventures.
Our mission is to profitably grow by delivering and engaging each customer with trusted journalism, information and content that is most relevant to their personal passions, needs and desire for positive change in our communities. Central to our strategy is the use of data to fuel the growth of new digital subscription revenue streams and to enhance the value and performance of our digital audience to advertisers.
We are committed to change within our organization with the aim of protecting the voice of the people while providing an innovative, multi-platform audience strategy that serves our audiences and advertisers in our print, online, smartphone and tablet products.
In this role reporting into the Director, Customer Acquisition & Retention, the Manager
- Region and Program Marketing
will be a business minded marketer who has a deep customer-centric obsession in everything they do.
You are keenly passionate about being the "voice of our customer" and understand the importance of being an advocate for them. You will lead, develop and execute strategies and programs that will result in converting existing and new readers to digital paid subscribers. This role will lead, develop & execute ?best in class? marketing campaign strategies that drive registration, engagement and conversion.
As a member of our high performance team you will:
Be a data driven, business minded marketing expert that can leverage data to uncover meaningful insights. You can manage cross-functional relationships with product management, data, editorial, and prioritize your work within the marketing team. You will lead the delivery of targeted and personalized campaigns.
- Campaign management to support digital subscription growth, engagement and retention; managing targeted offers on and off network within, but not limited to, Owned, Social, Search, Email, Call Centre
- Analyze and report on campaign performance and champion ways to improve conversion and customer lifetime value
- Launch and maintain engagement & retention strategies to nurture anonymous readers and drive them towards registration, newsletters, subscription and referral
- Design and execute a testing framework to optimize current engagement and conversion tactics and experiment with new audiences, channels and UX
- Represent marketing in cross-functional, often transformational work streams
- Leverage insights from data, UX and customer service to optimize onsite UX and subscription conversion
- Collaborate with content marketing lead to design campaigns that bring the brand to life and translate brand value
- Participate in pricing and offer discussions and recommendations
Why you'll be successful:
- You're results driven and detail oriented
- building, measuring, and optimizing on-site campaigns and helping to define product enhancements
- You are accustomed to delivering on weekly, monthly, and quarterly targets
- You have a strong knowledge of customer segmentation and direct marketing/offer testing principles with demonstrated application of both to deliver incremental sales and profit. An ideal candidate will have experience with developing growth strategies for recurring revenue business models
- You've got expertise in expertise using paid social media & SEM to drive demand generation and conversion
- You are an excellent & persuasive communicator
- You understand The Star brand and have a passion for the work that our journalists do to investigate, report, and effect change
- You possess an agile approach and look at things through a lens of continuous improvement by studying the competitive landscape, staying at the cutting edge of new marketing best practices and leveraging research to build an engaged subscriber community
Why you will love working here:
- The opportunity to be part of a company at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- Be part of an exciting transformation and something larger by protecting democracy, trusted journalism and the voice of the people
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) including a minimum of 3 weeks' vacation
...And let's not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
We have many strengths across our operations, but no strength is greater or more critical than the talented, committed and passionate people at all levels of our company. The willingness of our employees to rise to meet the current challenge and the passion to build Torstar for the future is evident at all levels throughout all our businesses.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.