Date Posted: 12/18/2020
Req ID: 2095
Faculty/Division: VP & Provost
Department: Hart House
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Hart House is a centre for experiential education outside the classroom at the University of Toronto. Since it opened in 1919, Hart House functions as a place where students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the broader community connect with each other and the world. Through an array of co-curricular programming in the arts, dialogue and wellness, Hart House works with local and international partners to foster community and to create innovative learning opportunities for students. Hart House operates from a historic facility on the St. George campus, as well as a 150-acre farm in Caledon, Ontario, offering a wide range of services through a social enterprise model that generates revenue to support its student-focused programming on all three University of Toronto campuses.
The Marketing and Communications department develops and implements marketing and communication plans, strategies and tactics to support the strategic goals of Hart House. We promote Hart House's programming and services through Hart House owned and campus run media and channels as well as external media. Our primary areas of focus include supporting Learning and Community programming, Hart House Fitness Centre, Hart House Hospitality services and Hart House Theatre. In addition, we also provide support to the Warden's Office, Advancement, Staff Relations, Information HUB, Facilities and other areas of Hart House as needed. We implement a wide range of marketing and communication strategies to build lasting connections with our diverse audience groups including students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, clients, members and the broader community.
The Communications Officer, Graphic Design and Videography, reports to the Manager, Marketing and Communications, Learning and Community and will play an essential role in the creation and production of Hart House's graphic design (digital and print) and video output. The incumbent is responsible for delivering graphic designs that reflect the brand standards of Hart House and the University. The role will liaise with internal and external stakeholders including vendors to produce and deliver any printed materials. In addition, this role will support the student groups through assessing print and digital materials designed by students to ensure consistent use and representation of the Hart House's brand. This role is also responsible for the conceptualization and delivery of video content priorities for Hart House. To accomplish this responsibility, the incumbent will collaborate extensively with internal and external stakeholders to develop the video storylines meeting identified objectives and uses videography techniques to capture the desired results.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Creating and producing graphic designs that reflect departmental and/or divisional objectives.
- Producing promotional and outreach materials.
- Liaising with creative professionals and vendors to coordinate production activities.
- Verifying that all marketing/communication collateral adheres to brand identity and University style guides.
- Providing art direction for video productions that supports the target objectives of the audience and visual appearance.
- Conducting photography and/or videography shoots.
- Using and modifying standard videography and photography techniques to capture desired results.
- Assessing print and digital materials for consistency of graphic elements and appropriate layout of text. Keeping well-informed on current technologies, best practices and industry standards.
- A Bachelor's degree in related field; or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years: demonstrated experience of design software: Adobe Creative Cloud applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop); experience and knowledge of filming equipment, video editing software and motion graphics; experience in developing and delivering visual design concepts and creatives for the following: print, digital publications, email templates, digital advertising, infographics, videos, motion graphics, multimedia presentations and/or website; experience in printing and pre-press processes; demonstrated ability to provide creative direction and assisting in storyboarding and concept generation for video content
- Must have exceptional conceptual, graphic design and layout skills; and the ability to develop and follow graphic brand standards and accessibility legislation (AODA/WCAG)
- Demonstrable ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment in a busy, deadline oriented workplace
- Proven initiative, creativity and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, able to multi-task effectively
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in all work
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Strong interpersonal skills in working with colleagues, students and other partners
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusiveness in all work responsibilities and in collaborative workplace practices
- Familiarity with higher education culture and context, including student experience, student demographics, experiential learning and current student life trends
- Familiarity with Hospitality and Fitness Centre industries also an asset
To be successful in this role you will be:
Closing Date: 01/08/2021, 11:59PM EDT
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget
Schedule: Full-Time. Regular daytime schedule, with overtime on weekdays.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 12
- $69,730 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $89,172. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Sharon McBean