Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
MANAGER, COMMUNICATION SERVICES
POSTING NUMBER: 103895
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $116,294.00
- $130,831.00 PER ANNUM
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $145,368.00 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Communications, Culture and Events, this senior communications professional is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of Corporate and department-specific communication initiatives, working collaboratively with the Media & Engagement, and Creative Services communications staff to develop and implement integrated communications strategies. This increases employee engagement, contributes to operational excellence and protects the reputation and public image of the City.
- Contribute to the development of an annual Corporate Communications Plan and lead development of project based public relations direction that aligns to strategic and service priorities of the City and Term of Council Priorities. Provide Advisory Services support to divisional communication plans, projects and initiatives to ensure consistent and complementary approaches and attain quality delivery.
- Ensure that clear and comprehensive communication standards and policies are in place, and assist with compliance by providing directional advice, briefing notes, and communications planning for internal clients, programs and initiatives.
- Provide protocols and co-ordination support across Corporate Support Services (specifically I.T. and Human Resources, and internally with Media & Engagement and Creative Services staff) to ensure collaboration and to advance Council and corporate priorities, minimize conflicts when dealing with relevant stakeholders, e.g. Council, the public, etc. This requires building and maintaining strong relationships and networks.
- Develop and implement effective internal employee communications in partnership with Human Resources, Office of the CAO and the Corporate Leadership Team.
- Lead, develop, and challenge a team of communication professionals, which includes Senior Advisors and Communication Specialists, to provide
- strategic advice and flexible support to all departments implementing communication initiatives. Responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of this functional team.
- Act as a liaison with other Departments to understand operational needs, assess and provide communications insights to non-communications staff, forecast communications requirements, and delegate and assign projects and assignments in order to meet divisional and corporate operational goals and timelines. Responsible to ensure departments and senior staff are aware and updated on the services Strategic Communications offers.
- Post-secondary degree in Journalism, Communications, Media Relations or equivalent
- 5+ years of progressive related experience (preferably in the greater public sector)
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement a variety of communication projects
- Experience leading a team of technical professionals
- Deep understanding of organizational and political systems and a proven track record in influencing change
- Knowledge of English language standards and best practices in organizational communications
- Public relations and diplomacy
- Ability to use MS Office
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Management and Administration
Applications must be received by: December 5, 2020
ALTERNATE FORMATS WILL BE PROVIDED UPON REQUEST.
As part of the corporation's Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103895 by December 5, 2020 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant's responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.