HIGHLIGHTS OF THE JOB
We are hiring a Full-Time Permanent position working out of Edmonton, AB!
EPCOR's award-winning Public & Government Affairs team is evolving. As we take big steps to build our brand and push into new spaces, we're looking for great people to help us drive EPCOR's vision through best-in-class marketing, communications and leadership.
The External Communications Specialist, is EPCOR's lead media spokesperson, issues manager, and earned media authority, responsible for enhancing and protecting EPCOR's brand, reputation and business to external stakeholders and the public.
What you'd be responsible for
You are EPCOR's face and voice in the news on matters affecting our business, customers, and community. Your ability to explain situations and complex technical information in simple terms is stellar. This comes from a deep understanding of who we are, what we do and what we believe in. It also comes from your strong background in navigating the traditional and new media landscapes. You will be our trusted voice, even in times of crisis and emergency.
ISSUE MANAGER AND STRATEGIST
You are skilled at handling operational incidents that come with the day-to-day delivery of essential utility services. You respond in real time to meet the information needs of reporters on deadline and the immediacy of customers on social media. A key strategist on our team, you are a critical thinker and a seasoned issues manager who takes a big picture, long view look at public issues affecting EPCOR's brand, reputation and business. Building strategies, plans, message decks, briefings and other tools of the trade are second nature to you.
SPEAKING OUR TRUTH
EPCOR has great stories to tell, and you know how to share these with the world. We will look to you to develop creative earned media opportunities for our many communications, sponsorship and community investment initiatives. Your proven ability to use social media and other digital tools to engage audiences
- and your talent as a writer
- will be keys to your success.
The best solutions are ones that reflect different perspectives. You are a collaborator and relationship builder
- someone who recognizes the importance of reaching out to others for input. In your work, you will need to work across corporate and business units, and with individuals at every level in our organization. Beyond EPCOR, you bring a network of contacts in media, social media, business and community.
LEADER AND TEACHER
You will lead our media / social media response in crisis and emergency situations as a member of the Public & Government Affairs team. You will also lead our 24x7 on-call media / social media response and the team of communicators who support this. Their training and ongoing development will be one of your priorities. You will also provide media training for EPCOR's executive, leadership and subject matter experts.
WHAT'S REQUIRED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- Degree from a post-secondary educational institution in one of the following fields
- public relations, journalism, communications, business or relevant experience
- At least 8 years of progressive issues management, media experience, preferably in a business or the utility industry
- Experience serving as corporate spokesperson
- Solid understanding of the media landscape and exceptional media pitching, news judgement, writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to maximize coverage over multiple news, social media and other external communications channels.
- Superior writing, editing, proofing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills; articulate, quick to formulate responses, and solid presentation skills
- Strong use of social media and other digital platforms, and an understanding of how and when to use these channels to reach audiences
- A commercial orientation with an understanding of business, public disclosure and financial reporting requirements
OTHER IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THIS JOB
Hours of work: 80 hours biweekly
Note: Due to COVID-19, this position will be temporarily working from home.
Application deadline: October 30, 2020
LEARN MORE ABOUT WORKING AT EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.