Reporting directly to the Director of Communications, Advancement and Alumni Relations, with a dotted reporting line into University Communications Services (UCS), specifically the Lead Creative, Design, and the Video/Multimedia Producer and Motion Graphics Designer, the incumbent creates high quality graphic design and multimedia products. He or she incorporates and manages university design standards and consistency of the overall institutional brand in support of fundraising, stewardship, events and alumni relations.
- Discuss the requirements and the needs with Advancement and Alumni Relations staff and other clients.
- Analyze the purpose of the project and interpret the clients’ business needs.
- Develop mock-ups by gathering information and data to identify design needs.
- Produce print and web-based graphic designs that reflect a consistent, attractive and high quality image for internal constituencies.
- Produce video, photography and motion graphics that reflect a consistent, attractive and high quality image for internal constituencies.
- See projects through production cycle and manage fulfillment of such projects.
- Develop design ideas, thinking creatively to produce new ideas and meeting the constraints of cost and time.
- Prepare mock-ups, instructions and lay-out diagrams, using a wide range of media, including photography and computer-aided design.
- Discuss projects with clients, promote creative ideas and recommended production methods.
- Videotape and photograph events, interviews and cutaways needed for the various productions, as required.
- Research, develop and test HD and Video Compression applications (HDV, Final Cut Pro, Compression, DVD Studio Pro, Flash, After Effects, MPEG-4, QuickTime and Windows Media) to reflect trends and methods.
- Bachelor’s degree in an area related to the primary responsibilities and two to four years of related work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills, ability to work independently and within a team environment and to interact effectively with clients.
- Ability to express ideas clearly graphically and expertise and fluency in developing communications for a variety of media, transitioning from concept to production of print and web-ready art.
- A strong understanding and applied experience with marketing, creative and branding principles.
- Good written and spoken English communication skills (level 4), in order to prepare proposals, correspondence and reports. Basic spoken French (level 3) in order to communicate with external contacts and suppliers.
- Advanced knowledge of PowerPoint, QuarkXpress, Photoshop, Illustrator as well as a strong knowledge of desktop publishing applications.
- Advanced knowledge of video and HDV/DVD equipment and applications (Apple’s Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Compressor, Motion, soundtrack and Adobe After Effects).
- Extensive experience in producing video and multimedia, directing, motion graphics, color correcting and editing, including sound recording and audio post-production.
- Advanced knowledge of compositing, motion graphics design, video compression and applications (Compressor, QuickTime Pro, Sorenson Squeeze and Episode).
- Skilled in interpreting clients’ ideas and problem-solving.
- Ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of printing and production methods.
- Understanding of advertising and marketing principles and of people’s reactions to visual images.
- Must be creative and imaginative; able to think outside-the-box.